Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by tattoogirl73 View Post
i'll need a full box of tissues judging how i was at the end of reading marley and me oh hung up on his mam because he thought something was wrong. he couldn't get over i was sobbing my heart out over 'a book'
Men have no idea most of the time
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2012, 12:20 AM
I read Moobli some years ago and remember how upset I was - so much so, I had to give the book away!

I think a lot of the books i read at that time were tough on the dogs generally - Jock of the Bushveld, Jack, Lad: A dog and so on.

Some crackers of books, but I did a huge amount of crying over them all!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I read Moobli some years ago and remember how upset I was - so much so, I had to give the book away!

I think a lot of the books i read at that time were tough on the dogs generally - Jock of the Bushveld, Jack, Lad: A dog and so on.

Some crackers of books, but I did a huge amount of crying over them all!
Totally agree Wys. I read so many dog books when I was a child and just about every one had me bawling - same with the films out back then too.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Totally agree Wys. I read so many dog books when I was a child and just about every one had me bawling - same with the films out back then too.
Oh heck yes, the films too. I still cannot watch some of them if they come on Tv now!

Wys
x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2016, 11:04 AM
Sorry for digging up such an old thread, but I had to pass on the sad news that Mike Tomkies, author of Moobli and many other wonderful books, died on the 8th October 2016 at the grand old age of 88 years.

Mike inspired me with the books written while living a spartan existence in a tiny cottage in the Scottish Highlands, photographing and writing about the elusive wildcat, pine marten, golden eagle and the other wildlife he spent years studying. I was lucky enough to meet him twice and we had many interesting conversations on the telephone and by letter over the years. I am sure his spirit will remain in all the wild places he loved.

I like to think that Moobli was waiting here for him

RIP Mike

tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-10-2016, 11:06 AM
RIP. Back with your friends now
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-10-2016, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am sure his spirit will remain in all the wild places he loved.
But how long will those 'wild places' remain I wonder. There appears to be no stopping the population explosion and in 100 or 200 years there will be no 'wild places' and his books will become just 'history' books not 'wild life' books.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-10-2016, 10:27 PM
I was a huge fan of Tomkies - his books a source of joy for me. A good man, a good author. In tune with his surroundings and wild creatures that inhabit it.
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2016, 04:10 AM
This is interesting want to read this book soon.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
But how long will those 'wild places' remain I wonder. There appears to be no stopping the population explosion and in 100 or 200 years there will be no 'wild places' and his books will become just 'history' books not 'wild life' books.
I hope this never comes to pass Losos Thankfully some areas in the Highlands of Scotland are still wild and uninhabited and will most likely remain so as there is inhospitable terrain that only lends itself to wild creatures and occasionally hardy hill sheep.

Like you, I do fear for the future of the wild places in this country though Very sad.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >