Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-09-2008, 03:34 PM

Goodbye Old Rebel.

Now, my grandparents always always have had multiple dogs. And always had one rescue collie/shepherd type or collie, by name of Rebel. I'm not sure why it's just one of those things, they had an assortment of breeds with an assortment of names over the years. But always space for a "Rebel" whom was a rescue.
They had two "rebels" at one point, which got very confusing. One Rebel being a rough collie, who had been found wandering many years ago but he lived his days out with my great grandparents in the end. They had lost their old dog and wanted another, so my grandad gave his folks their Rebel as he was quite old and quite content just to dose and go around the allotments. The other Rebel however...was a collie x shepherd, who cost 10 pound from the local RSPCA at 8 weeks old. And was a big ball of fluff, i remember i used to think he was some form of grizzly bear cast off. Anyway, the cute pup grew into a devil Who was an escape artist, he could scale six foot fences WITH trellace overhang. And his infamous trick was leaping onto the sink and out through the kitchen window to go roaming. Nobody ever understood why he did it considering he wasn't raised this way, he just did. He was a dog which defied any training methods, he could walk like an angel by your side without a lead yet leash him up and he'd either have your fingers in the process or drag you half way to hell and back. He was infamous around their neighbourhood, but for every rebellious essence he was a good and trustworthy dog. One who I think I trusted with my life, and had a small passion for babies. Being there whilst most of "the grandchildren" grew up or came along and grew up. So many of my childhood memories swim around him, like when he put an end to the explosion of domestic rabbits that belonged to two callas cousins of me. And when he ruined christmas dinner 94 by eating the turkey. Or when he dissapeared for five weeks to turn up as right as rain with no hints to where he'd been. He lead a fruitful life.
My grandfather passed away after bravely battling cancer, in June just passed-as you all know. At the time of his death, Rebel was the only pet left in the house as they agreed no more after they lost Ella their sheltie and their two ancient cats, due to the circumstances. Since my grandfathers death Rebel wasn't really the same, and at nearing 16 we didn't think it would be too long. I went over my grandmothers house at the weekend and took him out for a walk, and he got filthy muddy so I chose to give him a bath, and being a very thick coated dog his hair went very thin when wet if you get me? Which is when I felt a very thick feeling lump in his stomach.
He was taken and put to sleep this morning, a lot of dignity and ease. It's sad but isn't as he had a good and VERY long life.
So here's one for the road old boy, the most aptly named Rebel ever owned by the Harris clan.

Me and he, some many years ago! He was about a year two then. And I had white blonde curls!:Shock:
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Rip Rebel..............another kind soul now at the Rainbow bridge.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 05:18 PM
A beautiful picture came to mind after I after read that, he sounded a wonderful boy.

RIP Rebel, have fun at Rainbow Bridge.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 05:43 PM
What a long and happy life he had, never going hungry (especially Christmas 1994) You will have many happy memories forever Luke.

RIP sweet Rebel, catch up with the Dogsey gang, they're waiting for you at Rainbow.xxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 07:25 PM
A sad, but very touching story, Luke.

Rebel obviously had a big influence on your dog-loving attitude, and he did the job very well.

Run free old fella - much loved, and sorely missed

x0x0x
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 07:33 PM
I am so sorry to hear this Luke. I can see he was a lovely dog and your memories will always be with you. Thank you for sharing Rebel's life with us. Run free sweet Rebel.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 08:14 PM
run free rebel shake them all up over the bridge
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 10:30 PM
run free Rebel old lad
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran