Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by akna View Post
One dog can not run in an open class (certainly not for the organisation I run with who allow some non purebred sleddogs to run).
"The only open class register is with ABSA which wasnt what i was referring to as i said an Inuit could not be raced in any events at present but there are open classes that you can. These are at events such as Brandon Forest, November, Wyedean Quest next year and there will be more, you obviously havent heard about them yet but seeing as i have cross breeds myself i do try and keep up to date with whats going on and if you wanted to get really into it you can run in scotland because you can run whatever you like there!"
Sorry, on re-reading it you seem to have misconstrued what I said, I merely stated that a single dog (i.e. one dog in my previous post) can not run in the Open class unless it is of Freight type
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
It is worth contacting the forestry commission, they do allow you to run in the forest, we have someone who uses the forest behind where I live and also has permission to run the dogs in the Country Park where I work (in a remote area of the Park).

I have also seen it mentioned in the Forest Life magazine that visitors may see the dogs in training. You would probably have to pay for a permit, the horses that are stabled here have to pay £5.00 a month with restrictions at certain times of the year because of the shooting.
Yes, that is definately a good idea We have a permit for our local training ground (I wish it was only £5 per month and that you could choose the months to have the permit for though )

If you do go down that route then you also need third party liability insurance Our training ground requires 2 million cover however I know some areas have asked for 5 million (although this is unecessary).
akna
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2009, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=Greyhawk;1639891]This is not strictly accurate - it is the fact that you are using a dog to pull you that is against the law in public places, not the mode of transport they pull you on.

"Sorry always thought the draught law refers to dogs pulling carriages, carts, trolleys, barrows etc on a public highway NOT a mountain bike or scooter on private land, forestry commision land or bridleways? These have not been included in the ammendment, i know this because i have friends with Bernese Mountain Dogs and somebody at a local fete approached them about it being illegal and cruel to use a cart, they were corrected!"

Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
I would be very suprised if you could find one that mentions a 'rig' either. The law is to do with using dogs for draught.

"As above and i do doubt that it would mention the word rig but then i wouldnt of thought a rig would be deemed a carriage or cart because that referes to a wheeled carriage or cart with a seat!"

Wyedean has yet to be confirmed as far as I am aware The organisation in Scotland you need to run with is SDAS and they only organised 6 rallies this year (2 of which were cancelled ). The dogs still need to be approved to go on their Open register though.

"I have had it confirmed from Amanada & Fred Palmer who are organising the Brandon Rally in Nov and they are also trying to confirm one in Wales too" SDAS is not the only rally organiser in scotland there is also the NSDSC (National Sled Dog Sports Centre) who offer a few rallies but all with longer distance much better suited to the freighting breeds Greyhawk "

A trek? They have a Weightpull event at Banham over the Easter weekend and an organised walk in May. They also have the fun weekend in August. ABSA have their fun day in April however there are no more rallies so people will not now be able to go and watch one of these until October

"Well a long walk then to some people that would be termed a trek ABSA follow this link http://www.absasleddogracing.org.uk/src/calendar.htm clearly have scooter, bike and cani cross on and spectators are welcome there is also teaching going on so an ideal time to go along and watch and learn i would of thought"

Yes I know who they are thank you, when their first dog was a youngster I ran him with my team to give him experience
"Nice of you to give Ranger a good start, its obviously paid off seeing as he is a very fast malamute indeed!"

Try and get to the funday Lupus, as i said you cannot take your dogs but then its good to be able to concentrate without worrying and you can ask lots of questions too, most people are very very helpful and if you ask nicely some folk will let you take some pictures probably so you can get an idea of what the equipment looks like, how to put it together and what different people use. Even if you never compete it doesnt matter, my dogs have done recreational classes at quite a few of the events but its all over far too quickly as we usually run 5 miles plus. I am going (hopefully when i sort my van!) to scotland at the end of the month to a rally in culbin forest which is 3 x 9 mile stages this is probably a long way off for you but let me tell you there is no greater feeling than being out in the forest, with your dogs, just trotting along, beautiful scenery its great....i feel sorry for the big sibe teams cos they go so fast they never get to see much
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by akna View Post
... NOT a mountain bike or scooter on private land, forestry commision land or bridleways?
Private land (which is what Forestry commision land is) has always been fine with the permission of the landowner It is only on public land where it could be an issue, what I don't want is for people to buy a scooter on the assumption that they can use it whenever and where ever they like.

SDAS is not the only rally organiser in scotland there is also the NSDSC (National Sled Dog Sports Centre) who offer a few rallies but all with longer distance much better suited to the freighting breeds Greyhawk
I never said they were the only organiser in Scotland I know the NSDSC support events and were intending to hold their own three events this year however the first two were cancelled, did the third ever go ahead? (As I have mentioned before, Scotland is the opposite end of the country to both me and the OP so I only take a passing interest in their rules/regs/events ).

Well a long walk then to some people that would be termed a trek
Ah right, sorry, normally a 'trek' is a long distance event where by you run the dogs in harness (such as the Aviemore trek and the one AMWA ran at Salisbury earlier on this year). I simply didn't realise you were refering to a walk.

ABSA follow this link http://www.absasleddogracing.org.uk/src/calendar.htm clearly have scooter, bike and cani cross on and spectators are welcome there is also teaching going on so an ideal time to go along and watch and learn i would of thought
Yes I know about the event, I received a brochure In you original post you advised the OP to go and watch a few rallies so I merely mentioned that the rallies were now finished for this season. However as you say there are other fun events on that they can go and watch
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2