Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
duberman
New Member!
Male 

09-01-2015, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
1. I'd check his neuter is 100% complete. Sometimes in horses you get what is referred to as a 'rig'. Where a testicle or part thereof has been left behind. Think it's called cryptorchid or something like that where one hasn't dropped.

2. Have his teeth and ears checked

My boy is very particular about where he gets stroked and it's either under his chin or on his side (he will wander over and lean against any foot that sticks off the sofa)

It sounds hormonal to me, what's he like with other dogs?

Someone on here has sharpie who may be able to shed light on any 'pei quirks.

I'd say around 18months is a key milestone for boys
He was neutered when he was around nine months I think, I take it the vet would have to check if it was "complete"? I've checked his ears and mouth, they seem okay to me, but I'm no expert. And with other dogs it can be hit and miss really, some he leaves alone, some he's happy to play about with and some he shows (what looks to me) like aggressive signs so we're generally quite cautious around other dogs. What do you mean by key milestone?

Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
Is there a bitch in season or bitch of any description been in your house or have any household members been near any other dogs?

It sounds like someone is bringing the smell in with them. Bear in mind dogs can smell dead bodies through concrete so you don't physically have to have touched another dog/great smell with your hand (although the door handle thing points me in that direction)
We didn't think of that until you said, but my other half has recently started working somewhere where a bitch often frequents. I guess that could well be a possibility. If that's the case, do you think I needn't worry or would I have to change something?

Originally Posted by Lindsay&River View Post
Is there any chance he could be smelling a mouse or something like that? Just trying to think of ideas. How long have you had him?
I don't think it's a mouse hehe We've had him since he was 9 weeks.

Originally Posted by manydogz View Post
Good thought, CaroleC, and I didn't know that. Could he have something caught between his teeth or on his gums? Or maybe there's a scent that smells lovely, but he's allergic to it. Could be something new being carried into the house like Dobermonkey said. Anyone taking a new route home from work or school or taking a walk? Could even be a new person someone is in contact with every day. Or a new perfume or shaving cream.
Checked his mouth before anything and it seemed okay, and he has his nylabone which he's always chomping on so I would of though that would help with cleaning his teeth. But yea, as I said, my partner has a new job, and is often using new chemicals (read: perfumes/sprays/etc) on herself lol, so that's a lot of new smells I guess.

Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
I have an 18 month old spayed Shar-Pei girl ... she's my second one so I know the breed quite well.

From what you describe, I'd guess that the shaking of the head is possibly an ear infection something which Pei are prone due to having short and tiny ear canals. Take a look and check whether there's a build up of brown gluey wax in his ears and whether they are smelly. If so I'd take him to the vet to get them cleaned and prescribed antibiotic ear drops.

Entropion is also common in Pei and his constant sniffing could be an indication of eye problems. My girl developed severe entropion at 4 months old and for several months was partially sighted. She compensated by having an over sensitive sense of hearing and smell. Again you need to take him to the vet to have his eyesight checked.

The over salivating might be because your dog is in pain. Pei have an extremely high pain threshold which is hard to detect because of their subtle body language.

I could be wrong as I'm only going from what I know from my own dogs ... good luck and I hope you soon get his problems sorted out!
He's had an ear infection in the past, and we've used those antibiotics you mentioned from the vet to clear it up, but they don't look (or smell) like when he did have an infection. They look clean and smell lovely at the moment and he hasn't been itching, and he's been doing this odd thing for about a month now, but I will keep an eye on them.

He had entropian too, the vet took about 7mm of skin out in total I think he said, from both the side of his eyes and the bottom eye lid. That was about 4 months ago, and he got an ear infection a week later so it took a little longer to get over than normal. He seems absolutely fine now with his eyes, no itching, no blinking/watering, etc. Again, will keep an eye on them though

Didn't know about the pain thing though! He's been itching his sides a bit now, come to think about it, something to think about I suppose!

Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hello Dubs when was your dog neutered .Be aware that hormones may continue to circulate in a neutered dogs for quite some time afterwards and can still affect their behaviour.

The behaviour you described can be connected to scents and savouring smells (including his own) .

I would make sure his anal glands are ok also the folds of his mouth which can become infected and cause a scent which a dog can then spread around and 'savour'.
He was neutered when he was nine months iirc, and I wonder if you're right as it does seem like a hormonal kind of thing when you see it. I will get him checked out, although he doesn't have many folds being a cross. Except his forehead, that's where his folds have stayed hehe.

Thank you all for the great replies. I have a lot of food for thought now after being absolutely confused for a month I'll keep a close eye on his ears/mouth and his behaviours, and if it seems to get worse or not better within a week or so he'll be taking a trip to the vet. Unfortunately he's one of those dogs that hate the vets, no matter how much treats I/the vet give him...

Thanks again!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2015, 08:18 PM
Hi in my experience at around 18months they tend to turn into eejits (think teenage boy) but that usual comes with maturity but as he was done at 9 months I'm not sure that applies in his case. We got to 18 months and my boy went from wanting to play with everyone to not entertaining other boys with bits at all if they are bigger than a jrt! He thinks he's bobby big bits.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Another thought. You mentioned he has started scratching his sides. Have you changed the brand of food or treats you feed him recently? Some commercial dog foods, particularly those containing grain can cause skin irritation and allergies as well as behavioural changes in Pei. I feed my Pei on a home cooked diet to make sure she has no grains such as wheat. I've noticed though on the few occasions she's given kibble, even though its a good quality grain free product she'll start to itch herself more than normal.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2