Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post

I don't know whether it's feasible for you, but to help Dallas and Karitsa get to know each other, is it possible to put them both in adjoining enclosed areas, so that they can see each other but are prevented to coming into physical contact?
Indoors, yes they are separated but can still see and sniff each other if they want. Outdoors, not really feasible. I have a fenced yard, but not divided.

The other thing that springs to mind is that as Kuvasz are working dogs, can you find a "job" for Karitsa?
She does have a "job", to play with everyone
What sort of job can I give her? I have no livestock or anything.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Wow! Just googled Kuvasz ... what stunning dogs. Look terribly similar to the Maremma. Some friends of ours had a Maremma ... absolutely no idea how to handle it, and the dog ended up biting more than 1 person. Don't know what happened to it in the end, but that was one arsey dog! Funnily enough, it was fine with us because at that time we had Hal and were well-used to challenging gits!! This young male and Hal actually got on extremely well - despite the fact that the Maremma was about twice the size and weight of slender Hal, Hal put him in his place completely without any violence whatsoever, just with his assertive body language and posture. Oh happy days, how I miss that dog ... nice that we have his son Ben, but he is not a patch on his father.

Is the Kuvasz the same as a Maremma?
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Karitsa is a very well rounded dog, she is friendly with meeting new people and becomes more lively as she gets to know them (meaning us, when she first got here). She is fantastic with dogs too, not sure about females but is awesome with my boys, both small and large. She has a great disposition and very stubborn which is typical of the breed. The Kuvasz is from Hungry as Chlosmom mentioned and if I remember correctly the Maremma is from Italy. Both are LSG's, so similar but i'm sure with subtle temperament differences, but I cannot say first hand as I haven't had the opportunity to meet a Maremma yet.

I also had the great opportunity I fostering an Akbash/Kuvasz, his name was Ivan and boy did he have some issues, but turned to be a real gem and would have kept him too if I could. I find I mesh really well with LSG's.

Thing is that Dallas is becoming grumpier as he ages, so doing intros with him is becoming more challenging, so I need some advice on different ways to get it done with as little stress as possible.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2015, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
Karitsa is a very well rounded dog, she is friendly with meeting new people and becomes more lively as she gets to know them (meaning us, when she first got here). She is fantastic with dogs too, not sure about females but is awesome with my boys, both small and large. She has a great disposition and very stubborn which is typical of the breed. The Kuvasz is from Hungry as Chlosmom mentioned and if I remember correctly the Maremma is from Italy. Both are LSG's, so similar but i'm sure with subtle temperament differences, but I cannot say first hand as I haven't had the opportunity to meet a Maremma yet.

I also had the great opportunity I fostering an Akbash/Kuvasz, his name was Ivan and boy did he have some issues, but turned to be a real gem and would have kept him too if I could. I find I mesh really well with LSG's.

Thing is that Dallas is becoming grumpier as he ages, so doing intros with him is becoming more challenging, so I need some advice on different ways to get it done with as little stress as possible.
The Maremma of Italy and the Kuvasz of Hungary are similar breeds and its difficult to tell the two apart.

I tried googling possible "jobs" for Karitsa but without much luck, although I did find a Canadian breeders site where their Kuvasz did tracking and agility ... maybe you could contact the Canadian Kuvasz Club to see what they recommend? I also thought of a Police Dog obedience Training course which surprisingly enough my Shar-Pei girl loves and is a model student, but apparently Kuvasz aren't suitable candidates as their too independent!

Poor Dallas, I sympathise with him. Georgina my Pei often gets called upon by our trainer to help with training the "newbies" and the look on her face is priceless! I can almost hear her thinking "This is soooooo boring"!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2015, 10:33 AM
Thanx cholsmum for your info ... Timber, you are so lucky having such a gorgeous dog. Karitsa sounds wonderful and very challenging ... something I like. I don't think I could cope with a dog who had no issues, and was immaculately well behaved ... far too boring for me!

Very best of luck with her and Dallas xx gnasher xx
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2015, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Thanx cholsmum for your info ... Timber, you are so lucky having such a gorgeous dog. Karitsa sounds wonderful and very challenging ... something I like. I don't think I could cope with a dog who had no issues, and was immaculately well behaved ... far too boring for me!

Years ago I owned a Great Pyrenean which is also related to the Kuvasz and Maremma. When I lost my first Shar-Pei I was tempted to buy a Kuvasz but as I'm getting older, I felt another medium sized/medium exercise dog would be better, so I settled for Georgina, my second Shar-Pei. I can assure you though Gnasher that anyone who thinks Pei are a pushover needs to think again (says she with a grin on her face). Pei live to their own agenda which is totally different to any other dog I've owned and there are times when my brain aches trying to understand what it is but having said that I can't imagine what life would be without one!
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2015, 02:17 PM
maybe you could contact the Canadian Kuvasz Club to see what they recommend?
That's a good idea chlosmum. I'll look up the breed club and see if they can suggest something suitable for her.

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post

I find with LSG, even if they are immaculately well behaved, you can still have your work cut out for you. They tend to be independent, but still very loving at the same time, and you can see those wheels turning in their heads. They can also be so stubborn, that getting them to do something sometimes can be a bit challenging.

Karitsa unfortunately is not my dog per say, she is a foster who I love so much that I would love to adopt her but the timing just isn't right.

Years ago I owned a Great Pyrenean which is also related to the Kuvasz and Maremma.
My boy Lincoln was a Great Pyrenees mix. What a wonderful dog he was. I miss him so much...sigh...
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2