Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kaylaclaire86
New Member!
Female 

15-12-2014, 07:21 AM

Canine Alpha (male) problems?

A little back story, it's important (I think).
I am a female, and this is my first puppy living on my own, I was brought up on a farm with 4 dogs, all female.
My pup is a male Dogue de Bordeaux/Boxer mix, I got him from a friend of my fathers who is a reputable breeder. My Dog's name is Tyson, he has a very great temperament, and very well behaved out in public (He's a volunteer for a hospital program for terminal and old patients to bring them smiles and comfort).
he is 100% natural(not fixed, tail unclipped, dewclaws intact etc)
He listens to my every command, he just turned 1 last month.
Despite his high intelligence(he knows colors and can count to 10 etc) and obedience, I still question some of his behaviors.

when I have a male friend over(co-worker, friend, bf) Tyson feels the need to hump them. My question is, is he trying to assert his dominance over them?
like "I'm the head male here bucko" he doesn't do this with male family members that visit, regardless if he's met them before or not, he doesn't have an issue with humping his toys or other dogs either

At night he sleeps with me. He'll only find comfort near my chest or using my bosom as a pillow, I am assuming it's a heartbeat thing.

my overall question is, does he see me (a female) as the pack leader? Or does he just see me as his "mother" whom he is compelled to protect?
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Some dogs do it out of excitement ( you see bitches doing it also). He should not be allowed to do it as it can become a habit. Direct him onto something else 'fun'

My boy has only ever humped one guy (sister in laws dad) the living room was full of people and my boy went round saying hi to everyone until he got to this particular chap and immediately started to hump his leg. Never don't it before never done it since. We joked about it being cause the guy wasn't very macho but it was a mystery really.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Definitely remove him from the person he is humping and give him something else to do. Either a teddy that he can do it to or just a nice yummy treat that he can chew on. This must be given to him before he can hump or a long while after he has stopped or he may think he is being rewarded for doing it. I would say he is smelling something on them that makes him come over all unnecessary. Is it as they have just come in the front door or sometime after? Don't like to go into to much detail. Have they been driving and are a little sweaty. Are they a little or a lot nervous of him?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Reputable breeders don't normally mix dogs together like that, first point I want to make. That dog can't possibly be papered or anything as no KC will accept him. So doubting the person is a really good breeder. My male is neutered and therefore does not hump, and my last male who was never neutered never did this.

Humping should not be allowed under any circumstances, it's not always dominance, but it's annoying and simply viewed as undesirable behavior. Dogs cannot mate with humans, so they are not allowed to try.

When he does this, clip a leash to him and remove him and place him in another room. Before it happens distract him somehow and if it persists, move him into another room. If it gets excessive, might want to consider neutering in the future.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Humping is not always sexual or dominant behaviour. It can be caused by stress, over excitement, attention seeking or be play related. Neutered dogs and spayed bitches are known to hump. When I had my new female puppy, my 4 year old female dog who'd never humped before started to hump the puppy when she was sleeping.

You need to stop the behaviour before it becomes a habit by distracting him with a treat or a toy or an activity he values more highly than humping. Don't make a big fuss over it, just be calm and consistent.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2014, 08:32 PM
A treat is a good idea, but don't give him the treat while he is humping to distract him, that will backfire as you're rewarding him for humping and it will only lead to him doing it more. If you can't distract him before he starts, remove him or call him off if that works and THEN give him the treat and praise. I personally tell my dogs NO when I don't like something they are doing, but it doesn't tend to work with humping dogs... so likely not the way to go here.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2014, 09:55 PM
Rethinking what you have asked he does not see you as anything apart from a meal provider. He has love for you for that but no respect. So you can do one of two things,remove him from the scenario to another room before he can hump or have him on a lead to greet and say No firmly if he tries. A good sit is OK but a down is better. The person he is greeting can reward the sit or down as long as the dog is not overexcited but keeping still.