Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by mom24dogs View Post
Some had some good reviews.
Yes, lots of good reviews, but are they genuine let us hope and pray they are from real people.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-11-2014, 10:03 AM
ive had a look and essentially they are valerian / lavender that sort of thing

speak to your vet and see what they suggest

there is a product i have heard of people using but i will leave that to your vet (think you can only get it on prescription)

i do not condone effectively drugging a dog and would strongly recommend hands on expert help and advice BUT the situation you are faced with is not just you being stressed (you be a grown up deal with it!) but your dog being incredibly stressed over the forthcoming busy holiday period. His issues will not be fixed in time for xmas (and to be fair i doubt any medication will 'mask' his issue THAT well so you will still need to be on code red) but as an interim measure it may make his life a bit more bearable during this time.
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2014, 01:24 PM
I'm afraid as long as the underlying issue is not addressed, you're not really doing yourself or the dog any favours
I can understand how stressful this situation must be for all parties involved and why you would want to calm him down.
Dog behaviourist therapy can be expensive, but it can't hurt to read up on fear aggression and see which techniques you could apply yourself?

I would stay away from anything that recommends any form of physical discipline, but yeah, I agree with what's said by others, this will not be an overnight fix.

Kudos to you for taking the dog on and wanting to work with him, he sounds like a very anxious pup!
mom24dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2014, 02:02 PM
I know it's not a fix. It's just something to help him relax while all this is going on. I do plan on seeking professional help when I can get the extra money, but right now that's not an option. I'm not going to get rid of him over this either cause I know he would end up being put down. He is a pretty good dog other than his issue with people. He has a special connection with my handicapped mother in law that lives with us. We just moved in together and she is the only one Marley remembers and actually likes. I was SO relieved when he was happy to see her. That would have been a stressful mess if he would have acted to her how he acted to my nephew. I don't know why she is the only one other than us, other than they just have that special connection.
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2014, 04:14 PM
My parents used to give valerian capsules to our Fox Terrier who would get so anxious about riding in the car that he'd be sick all the way. They would completely knock him out where it looked like he had been drugged. Needless to say it was an emergency measure for when we had to travel long distances. I doubt the ones you linked are that strong, it always amazed me something you could buy over the counter that would be "herbal" could be that strong.

I know a lot of people swear by Rescue Remedy (Bach flower therapy) as well, but I can't confirm as I've never used it on animals or seen it used.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Be very careful of calming meds, many have shown to have major side effects.
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2014, 03:44 PM
I did see a behaviouist on a programme by vet Mark Evans suggest that sometimes with an extreamly anxious dog if you can use the right meds to keep them calm in conjunction with behaviour techniques this can get you accross the first hurdle else they are too anxious to take on board their training / techniques
Good luck x
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Sounds like it could be fear aggression. To be honest, I would either not have visitors over if it were stressing him out so much or board him somewhere safe where the staff has experience with this sort of behaviours. There is a boarding kennel n my area that has several kennels that can have the door leading to an outdoor pen opened by a rope so the staff do not need to go in and potentially get bitten. Once the holidays are over, then find a good behaviourist to evaluate and help come up with a unique plan to help your dog.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Personally I would not put up with any aggressive dog and make the right decision. We had to do this with one of our own dogs when he turned on us for no reason twice.
The thought of such a dog and a young child let alone a grownup horrifies me
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Not sure if you're implying what I think you are Tumbleweed, but this is the 2nd post you've written about "doing the right thing". When things go bad, sometimes you need to figure out what went wrong and try to rectify it before taking the easy way out right away.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >