Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2014, 03:31 AM

Best Way of Introducing a Stranger?

I'm trying to think of the best way for Callie to meet my daughter's friend and her mother tomorrow. We're taking the friend trick or treating with us and they've never been to our house. It's just when anyone unknown comes to the door both dogs sound like nutjobs.

It won't sound reassuring for them to hear the growls from heck on the other side of the door. I'm thinking if I walk Callie to the sidewalk off his turf he'll be fine. He's going with us. Sophie I don't trust to take out around kids and other dogs. Obviously her friend won't be coming in our house.

I'm just trying to think how to introduce Callie so she realizes he's just a big lovable galoot. Even in a Halloween shirt he still looks a bit imposing but the minute he gets petted he starts the whole body wag. I haven't met the Mom before. Suggestions?
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2014, 04:46 AM
Meet on neutral ground away from what your dog considers his territory.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2014, 03:36 AM
Well it worked out despite Callie not exactly being an advocate for the breed. The girl stood next to my car on our driveway. I brought Callie out and hustled him into the car to sit beside me. The girl's mom was parked across the street watching all this. Hopefully she didn't hear his greeting. Dumb dog...he gave his full "GRRRRRUHUHUHUH" then laid down in the front seat quiet as a lamb and went to sleep.

I guess in his mind it's his front walk and driveway but my car is neutral territory. He was the perfect gentleman for the rest of the evening. His two playmates were a pug and tiny poodle and he did so well. More interested in exploring the yard and napping beside the humans. I couldn't ask for a better dog...a bit protective sometimes but for the most part completely easygoing.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Glad it went well for you - Well done Callie xx
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2014, 10:05 PM
usually works, glad it went ok