Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Othala
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-10-2014, 06:28 PM

How do I stop my puppy from biting?

Mya is only 8 1/2 weeks old, so I know she's not biting to be mean, she's teething. I got her a couple puppy teething toys and I try to swap out my hand, my shoe, whatever it is she's biting for one of her toys.

The problem is she doesn't seem to be "getting it" yet that she can't bite and I have no idea how to properly scold her.

Everything I've read says that you have to reprimand chihuahuas differently, but none of it says exactly how I should go about this. I don't want her to think it's okay to bite, but I don't want to scold her too harshly for teething, does that make sense?

Thanks in advance!
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2014, 02:08 AM
I have to say I have no experience with puppies. I know teething is a normal stage they go through but I don't know exactly how you recondition them. Callie was an adult when we adopted him. Apparently he went through "nippies" and never got past that stage.
I tried the method of turning away. The philosophy being that if you use your mouth on skin you will get no fun time or attention at all. Perhaps with some dogs this works just dandy. I ended up with a torn jacket and love bruises on my butt. Turning away from him obviously was not a wise idea. Then we discovered empty plastic bottles.

A puppy might be too small and might have teeth that can be damaged by hard plastic. But with Callie plastic bottles are his favorite treat. He would prance past a roast on the floor to have a fresh soda bottle tossed down.
More so than food or any other motivation plastic bottles have been a G-d send. We have them stashed all over the house. Any time he gets overly playful or mouthy he gets a bottle. He'll curl up with it gripped between his paws and gnaw until it's flattened. Then he usually curls up for a nap,
Just a suggestion
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2014, 08:01 AM
Pups don't usually teethe till about three months. It could be the food that you are feeding making her more hyper than a pup would be usually. What are you feeding her?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2014, 08:43 AM
She's a pup. Pups mouth anything and everything and IT HURTS.

The problem is we naturally make a game of it (in the pup's eyes) by jumping, shouting/squealing, dancing away etc.

The quickest way to stop it is by doing the opposite (as far as possible), ie pup mouths skin, skin is withdrawn and all interaction stops. The 'stopping' is usually a second or two and the withdrawing is repeated every time teeth touch skin.

It's very normal and it's also very frustrating (and painful), but the stage passes - honest!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Some good advice from other members. Please don't scold or reprimand your puppy, it will only make her fearful!
She's a baby, just keep that in mind. You need to be much more patient as this isn't something she will learn in a few days. If she is getting excited and starts to bite your hands you need to think about the way you play with her. Stop doing interactive playing with her before she gets too excited, give her a kong to lick on, scatter some treats on the floor which she can find etc. And most importantly, just ignore the biting, gently take your hands away and get up if she continues. Keep doing that and she will learn.
But please don't expect her to learn this in the next week, she's a very young puppy and she can't manage herself yet
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2014, 04:51 PM
As others have suggested, ignoring the puppy is often best. They have short attention spans, so you only have to ignore them for 30 seconds or so. This teaches them that if they bite the fun ends.

As for saying "no," sometimes it can work. I know people are sensitive to using any type of "correction" at all, but it is worth a try. I find that many pups don't really care if you say "no." They think any attention is good attention. Others get the point that when you say a firm (but gentle) "no" the behavior is unwanted.

You could try a firm and gentle "no" followed by ignoring her for a minute or so. Hope that helps!
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2014, 07:26 PM
My jake was always biting , as there baby's they have not learned toys from skin he has grown out of it but it took from 8 weeks old to well over 4 months. What u can do is make sure he has toys u can tag with him. Every time he play bites your hand firmly say no and then give him the toy.but remember his. Baby atm so it all takes time x
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2014, 09:22 PM
I stop my puppies nipping(which as someone else has written is completely normal behaviour & must never be punished)very simply, I do not react at all to them mouthing me. This makes it very UNREWARDING & as any acknowledgement by the owner of the puppy nipping is a reward, even saying NO !

I have recently fostered 4 ex rescue puppies(over 18 months) & all have been quite nippy when they arrived here simply because they stayed with other puppies for longer than normal. All stopped by the second day they were here, because they got no reaction from me & as soon as they stopped they were praised & rewarded(with a click & treat)when they stopped. Yes it is painful, but far better to have pain for a short time that months of nipping & punishment in some form or other of the puppy by the owner.