Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hartza
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-10-2014, 09:03 AM

Dog crate after one year...

Hi everyone,

Our puppy turned one year old a few weeks ago, last winter I built her a nice wooden crate she really enjoys. I can tell because she sometimes stays in there during the day and has never had any problem when it comes to night time. She has always been very quiet.

She found a way to get out a few time when she was a little puppy and never chewed or ate anything, every time we found her on the couch. At one point, we thought we would not have to let her in her crate when we would leave the cabin even for a long time. She kept behaving the same, no problems at all.

Now I just wonder what is the point of having her sleeping in the crate. Again, she likes it but prefers the couch
I would certainly like to hear about your thoughts and experiences!
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2014, 10:46 AM
I've always let my dogs chose where they want to sleep at night. My previous two slept on my bed but the Shar-Pei I have now prefers to sleep on a mattress on the floor next to my bed. My Mini Schnauzer who was crate trained before I owned him still prefers to sleep in his crate. If I'm out during the day both dogs will snuggle up together on the living room sofa.
Hartza
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-10-2014, 06:09 AM
Well, that makes a lot of sense and I will keep doing this way.
After a while though, there might be no need for a crate anymore.
I remember I read a couple of times that 'crate training was for life'. I am not sure I get the point but anyway, I guess her new bed is the couch now and she has no problem at all to share it.
Thank you for your reply!
Charmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Our last staffy was crate trained and always loved his crate his whole life, but by the time he was old enough to be trusted not to chew things overnight, he was allowed to sleep on the sofa. And we found it useful to keep the crate up (out of the way, under the kitchen table) as it gave him a choice. Although he preferred to sleep on the sofa at night, if the kids got too much for him i the day or he just wanted a quiet spot of his own - he'd make a bee-line for his crate.

So even if you let her sleep on the sofa, it might be worth keeping the crate up - to give her the choice in the daytime.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2014, 02:17 PM
I'd say that unless you really have a problem with the crate to leave it out for her to use if she chooses. If you can sneak in to check on her randomly and she never uses it then I would get rid of it. But she might prefer it if guests come around, if she wants space, or if the sofa is full or if she is scared by something eg fireworks.
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2014, 10:04 PM
My dog is crate trained and I left him in it when he was home alone for about the first 18 months. After that, once I realized I could trust him I gave him the option. While he doesn't complain about the crate, he never prefers to go in there on his own. So eventually I put the crate away. He will still go in it if needed (like if we stay at someone else's house or whatever).
Hartza
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-11-2014, 07:15 AM
Thank you for these helpful comments, actually this is exactly what has been going on in the last couple of months

Beltza keeps sleeping on the couch and this is where you will always find her when we are out!

That being said, she started going in her crate again a week after my last post. Mostly when she is very tired and/or wants to be left alone, which does not happen very often but it's good for her and we will definitely leave the crate where it is.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2014, 08:28 AM
My dog likes his canvas crate. It is never zipped up now that he is older but prefers to sleep on top of it like a bunk bed. But he does also sleep on the floor by me or on the settee which has a cover over one of the seats. Dogs find a crate comforting to go into sometimes.