Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-04-2013, 11:39 PM

Jan Fennell

I would like to know your opinions on Jan Fennell.
As a teenager, after reading a couple of catastrophically bad dog training books, I came across her and loved her. Her methods really worked for me with my dogs and then brought me further to clicker training.
Now I'm a bit more sceptical. I do see the 'pack leader' thing a bit differently (as in I think we need to be more 'pack guides', where dogs can trust and follow us without being dominated in the way a lot of people think dog and wolf packs work), I still agree with most of her principles.
While with positive reinforcement methods there is no punishment, you will find punishment in Jan Fennell's method, but only in form of ignoring bad behaviour. And in contrast to Cesar Millan and the like, there's no direct dominance, no violence and intimidation.

So yeah, just curious what you people think of her methods?
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2013, 06:10 AM
Hi Florence - I attended a seminar last year with someone that had trained with Jan Fennell. I think most people on here were opposed to her methods and to be honest I've never really read her books or methods. I have to say, however, I was really impressed with the woman who led the seminar - I didn't find anything that could be classified as remotely cruel or unpleasant - she loved dogs and brought her gorgeous dog with her who was very happy, healthy very friendly and well balanced. She was a very warm and enthusiastic woman and campaigns in my area for better dog walking facilities etc. Based upon my experience of her - I didn't have a problem at all.

Despite what some will suggest there is definitely no one-size training that fits all when it comes to dogs. As long as it doesn't involve force, violence or just generally attempting to "break the dog's spirit" then I don't have a problem with it. I WANT what works for my dog - pure and simple.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2013, 06:16 AM
I found her methods very kind and was impressed but and it's a big but Mollie who we used them on got confused and almost distressed as she clamoured for a big hello when we came home and we had to ignore her according to Jan. She didn't learn manners or how to behave until we stopped messing with her head trying to be pack leader and welcomed her properly into our FAMILY and fussed her to death when we came home and taught her in our more traditional ways what was expected of her. (when I say traditional no raised voices or hitting/violence was employed just a strong no when she did something we didn't like and loads of praise when she did right).
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-04-2013, 06:50 AM
I bought the book after losing my dog Max to welcome my NewfiexBerner soon to be into our home and I did from day one implement her methods it went horribly wrong the dog and I didn't bond and at 8 months old she had to be returned she was a challenging dog from the beginning but the ignoring of bad behaviour was not the way to go with her and I paid the ultimate price.
I had never used such methods on my previous large dog a very excitable cross breed and he turned out fine neither did I use the methods again on on my last Bernese Ollie and I am certainly not using them on Dillon a very naughty boy sometimes and Ollie did and Dillon is turning out to be lovely dogs.
I wish I hadn't wasted my money on the book and certainly hadn't used the methods in the book I may still have in fact I feel certain I would still have her if I hadn't.
She is now living with a lovely family in the West Midlands and has turned out to be everything I had hoped she would.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2013, 07:40 AM
Glad that was a happy ending although sad for you she couldn't stay with you, makes me even surer we did right by changing how we approached Mollie's training we thought at the time we may have done something wrong but were following the book and tv show exactly.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Losing the all-important bond or being unable to build one was/is the biggest pitfall of following the methods. It's really easy to see why.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
As a teenager, after reading a couple of catastrophically bad dog training books, I came across her and loved her. Her methods really worked for me with my dogs and then brought me further to clicker training.
Now I'm a bit more sceptical. I do see the 'pack leader' thing a bit differently (as in I think we need to be more 'pack guides', where dogs can trust and follow us without being dominated in the way a lot of people think dog and wolf packs work), I still agree with most of her principles.
While with positive reinforcement methods there is no punishment, you will find punishment in Jan Fennell's method, but only in form of ignoring bad behaviour. And in contrast to Cesar Millan and the like, there's no direct dominance, no violence and intimidation.

I haven't read much on her but I strongly disagree that there is no punishment in positive methods! Thats a myth that positive is on a par with being permissive with dogs. But it is more in the way of taking somthing away from the dog i.e. attention, treat, toy of whatever the dog perceives as a positive reinfircement.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2013, 09:02 AM

Hi Not really sure,her voice gets to me,but she has written a lot of books,and have tried to read them,the only doggie person,who I find is sympathetic to us and of course the dogs,I am having a senior moment is it Bruce Fogel probably not but will check,Its the sympathetic bit re us that is important,because I had a behaviourest,and she made me feel really bad,good with the dog but totally ignored how we might be feeilng crystalgirl
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2013, 09:05 AM

Hi Florence, got you a link, I think he has died recently crystalgirl

http://books.google.co.uk/books/abou...d=fJ1BRwAACAAJ
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Jeez you scared me there had to go and look him up when you said he was dead - he isn't LOL so huge sigh of relief from me !
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >