Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 12:52 PM

Advice on odd behaviour

I'm asking this for a customer of mine....we've put our heads togethr and are stumped!

She has a rescue American Bulldog, between 1 and 2 years old (male, not sure if he is neutered).
He has started to destroy things when they aren't there.
Sometimes they are out when he does it, other times they can be in the next room and he does it (with the door open, so he can see/hear/get to them).
He is even getting things off the wall to chew.

He has several different toys (food balls, nyla bones, squeaky toys etc), but still does it.
He is also barking when they go out.

I suggestesd seperation anxiety, which it does sound like to me, and she thought that too (she read about it), but it's so odd that he is doing it when they are in the next room.

She isn't telling him off, shouting or frightening him, as se knows this won't do any good!

We are both at a loss now, and unles anyone can shed any light, we will look for a good behaviourist (can anyone suggest where to look for this too!)

Thanks!
Fizzy Chihuahua
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-02-2008, 01:15 PM
What about exercise , does he get out much ?
maybe more exercise could help ?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 01:17 PM
how are his teeth they could be bothering him!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Hi Hevvur it sounds like it could predominantly be Separation Anxiety which has lead to the dog performing a 'displacement activity' eg chewing things off the wall/barking as a way to vent his frustrations/occupy its time/a substitute for the owners being there. This chewing has now become a habit and the dog does it even when the owners are nearby.
(NB Puppies sometimes chew walls etc, this does not indicate SA in this instance just teething).

The scent of a nearby bitch in season can also cause some dogs to become intensely frustrated.

How much exercise/mental stimulation does the dog get, a tired contented dog rarely damages things. I think this is a thing they need to look at, also gradual desensitisation to get the dog used to being left alone.

Displacement activity: An activity which is performed out-of-context, or "displaced", because the animal is "frustrated" in its attempt to execute another activity or otherwise occupy itself. This is considerably less specific than redirected activity which implies a substitution of behavior "in kind", but towards another target. In cases where displacement activity is involved the activity may not be "in kind"..
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=uk
desensitising a dog to separation from a previous thread ..

http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p=864428&postcount=2
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Sorry, I knew i'd missed something out!
He is exercised adequately for his age, and he is always taken out before they have to go out and he is left alone.

As for mental stimulation, he has the food balls etc.....can anyone suggest anything different?

I did suggest leaving him gradually, and making the time left slightly longer each time, which she agreed, but it still confused us to why he does it when she is there.
She really doesn't think it's his teeth bothing him btw.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 02:14 PM
It's just because even though she is there, she isn't with him...
Is it just with her or everyone?
I would say, all the advice Mini gave is spot on as usual and she needs to look at building up the seperations in the house first.
He has to see her not being there as being something amazing...so he should ONLY ever get a stuffed kong for example when she isn't in the room, as soon as she is with him it should be removed immediately..so her not being there =good if you see what I mean. When she returns to him, she should try hard to ignore him initially (not easy with a bounding dog I appreciate).
Has he always been like that or is this a new thing?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the advice so far, will print it off, as she will come in the shop on Monday!
Will update then!