View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 12:45 PM

21 Gun Salute... someone brought their DOGS????

I went to watch my sister and her unit do the 21 Gun Salute at the Legislature building in Edmonton on Remembrance day. Were talking Howitzers here. And several idiots ACTUALLY BROUGHT THEIR DOGS!!!! it was in a park, and anyone could go watch, it was beautiful, and awe inspiring, and LOUD. I wouldn't even bring my deaf dogs, never mind hearing dogs, how bad would THAT hurt! we all wore ear plugs, dogs cant even cover their ears! I was sooo angry. BUT luckily, I have an "in" with the Sergeant... lol I told here that there were dogs standing on the other side of the guns, and she sent the guys keeping the crowds back to tell them to move their dogs away. if they hadn't I was going to go over and ask them if they knew that they were actually going to FIRE the cannons, to see what they'd say, stuipd idiot people!... OK rant over!

I was so shocked i had to get a pic of a couple of the dogs, tho it's a bad one. there were several other dogs there too so not just one idiot!

Here's one of the guns firing, so you can get an idea how LOUD it was
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 04:34 PM
im glad they were told to move away, would hate to think of those poor dogs having to be so close to that… some people are idiots.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 05:32 PM
I think you should take the pic down of some one else. at the end of the day ir slaggin them off.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
I think you should take the pic down of some one else. at the end of the day ir slaggin them off.
I don't agree, (a) you can barely make out their faces, (b) they didn't act responsibly (That's a major crime in my book) and (c) hardly likely they'll come on this forum and (d) I'm geting heartily fed up with people hiding behind some invisible screen to protect their rights or whatever
Name and shame I say.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Its a bit stupid they had to be told to not stand near the canons.

However, as long as they kept the good distance and these were confident bombproof dogs, i dont automatically alwasy see problem in such situations.

Did these dogs look upset?

For example, my dogs will happily be at a fireworks night.

Its nice to take them out and about to different places and keep them well socialized and solid.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 09:26 PM
They were standing about 20 feet from the guns, I didn't see the dogs once they were told to move the dogs away, and the guns weren't firing at the time. People also brought their little kids, who were crying and covering their ears, these guns are very loud! Like I said, I wouldn't have even brought my deaf dogs! This was waaayyy louder than any fireworks, which I wouldn't hesitate to bring my dogs to. and they were fired 21 times. if you weren't covering you're ears, or didn't have ear plugs in you would be facing ringing ears at least, so what would happen to dogs hearing wich is ALOT more sensitive to noise?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Well if you think that is crazy, last week someone took their dog to a huge and EXTREMELY busy firework display!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Its a bit stupid they had to be told to not stand near the canons.

However, as long as they kept the good distance and these were confident bombproof dogs, i dont automatically alwasy see problem in such situations.

Did these dogs look upset?

For example, my dogs will happily be at a fireworks night.

Its nice to take them out and about to different places and keep them well socialized and solid.
but there is a big difference between fireworks and cannons...
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Are you sure they knew what was happening?
Years ago we had an autumn break in the Lake District and took a run to Morecombe to see the lights. We were miles from the car when fireworks started. Fortunately we had a dog who loved watching them but we weren't expecting it and we hadn't had him long enough to know how he would react.
I can't imagine any sane person choosing to take their dogs anywhere near that
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Mine have been to firework displays. In fact a friend in security used to borrow my Kayos when he did firework duty in the park & he loved it. Pity those dogs at a 21 gun salute though. We went to a do in a park near here with the charity stall & one very load bang of this sort went off without warning & my new lad tried frantically to get into his cage in the car. Mind you my girl just lifted her head & then dropped it again, & my friends Newfoundland totally ignored it. Don't think it frightened any of them as much as it did me though. Thank goodness it was one bang not 21.