Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2008, 10:03 PM

chest infection, without having a cold

HI ALL

Has anybody ever suffered from a chest infection, but not had a cold?
Im feeling really ill, have done so since the end of last week, i went to the out of hours clinic on sat, the doc said i had a chest infection which i had propely caught from flying from spain the week before.she gave me amoxicillian.
I managed to see my own gp today, because i was not feeling any better. he frightened the c..... out of me. he started talking about blood clots on the lung. gave me another course of antibiotics to take with the others, and told me to go back on tuesday if i'm still not any better.
Well you've guessed it i'm now imagining all sorts of things, and keep getting tearful. please send some dogsey vipes my way.
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Yes! I sometimes get chest infections without having a cold first - and I always get some sort of lurgey after flying. Its because they recycle the air, not very nice when you think about it, all those germs going round and round.

I sometimes get a chest infection if I haven't been eating well enough or if I am stressed or very busy, like Christmas time for instance. My doctor says stress reduces your immunity.

Are you getting enough rest and eating? Try to manage some soup at least, it will make you feel better.

I hope you are feeling better soon, chest infections are really horrible and make you feel so low.

((hugs)) to you x
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Well yes it is quite possible to have a chest infection without having a cold because I ended up in hospital on a drip last winter.

Having said that now you are on ABs all should be well but don't hesitate to go back before Tuesday if you feel no better.

I was on a high dose of steroids which lowered my immune system and caused my problems. I'd felt a bit short of breath but as I have a lung condition didn't twig. Woke up during the night shivery and really breathless and phoned NHS24 They sent an ambulance and I was in hospital before I could blink

You take care of yourself!!!
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks you've made me feel a little less frantic, and your right, i havent been eating very well, i just havent felt hungry at all, and i LOVE my food. i'm not a person that likes feeling weak and ill, this is the first time i'v been to my doctor in 3 years. also i have been under some stress, more so because i can't get out and do the last of my xmas shopping.. but the silver lining is my family have come to realize that i'm not wonderwomen. well that skirt wouldn't fit me anyway, and i'm too weak to spin around lol
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Do you have youngsters and work too? That's what used to do me in at Christmas. I used to be in such a panic, not finishing work until Christmas Eve, only Saturdays to get round the shops, oh, its a nightmare for working mums, trying to fit in the school plays, nativity, all that cooking and cleaning and....well, its a wonder any of us are left standing by Christmas Eve.

I used to enjoy it from Boxing day on really, house full of food and a few days off work to lounge about, otherwise it was just stress.

Try to get the family to take some of the load and it really doesn't matter if you don't get everything, everyone will still enjoy themselves.

Really hope you feel better soon x
Skooshbag
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Few years ago I developed a chest infection after smoking 20 menthol Malboro one night I was working, how it happened I have no idea.
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2008, 12:25 AM
No, my youngest is now 24, my other son is 27. my husband does all the cooking over xmas except the buffet on boxing day, everyone has to bring something, its kind of a family tradition.
I have my dad living with us, he's 78 and i'm his full time carer, it can be very stressful at times caring for someone, we all get on well and are a close family. but at the end of the day its all down to me. and when i'm not well, don't ask me why but i feel guilty. My boys have been helping, but they both work and live with their partners and children, so dad and i have muddled through. sorry for going on and on. shutting up now
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2008, 12:27 AM
ermmmmmmmmmmmm could it have been the fags, just a thought lol
Skooshbag
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-12-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
ermmmmmmmmmmmm could it have been the fags, just a thought lol
Dunno, I have been smoking for about 10 years and never had a chest infection due to smoking any other time.
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2008, 11:09 PM
well still no better, and i'm having side effects from the aps my gp gave me, my tummy doesn't like them, still not eating and feeling really c......y. i havent slept in my bed for over a week now, it just causes sooo much pain.
my oh has had enough and is taking me to a&e tomorrow. so hopefully i'll get some help.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >