Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks for the sympathy, I need it, I think I was very brave, especially as I went all on me little lonesome!

Oh yes it was Dawn, the claustraphobia bit I could handle coz I kept my eyes tightly shut, but that noise, all that gunfire plus I thought I was cooking, I thought magnetic fields that they were zapping me with were like my microwave! Lol! CT's are totally different to MRI's, maybe you had a quiet CT scan although you still go through a tunnel!
What are you like!! It was noisey yes, and the thingy turns round too, its just your description made me smile, its very graphic! Good luck with the results, I only had to wait half an hour for mine.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 07:29 PM
lol, Dougie must be mental, he got lots of these when he had cancer, he found them really relaxing he must have had a tight fit coz hes uber big, but he used to just have a wee nap...
glad you survived yours,
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Aww, they aren't the nicest of experiences, but it's over now.
I've had more than my fair share of scans - MRI, CT, PET and Bone scans - all in nasty machines!

The MRI and PET scan is the worst for me.
The MRI because of the noise, and the PET because first they inject radioactive dye into you, and you have to stay in a room and do nothing for an hour (can't even read!), then your on the scanner for abut 45 mins - once again - no moving, no twitching, no swallowing etc etc! arghhh!!
#

I think dougie had a PET one as well, the things they do to people when they have cancer or similar is just so cruel, that said, dougie owes these sort of things his life I guess
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 07:34 PM
They are HORRENDOUS I have had 3 now and I can honestly say I will never never have another.
Each one has lasted about 45 minutes and last time I had to have sedation Before this I would never have said I was claustrophobic.

H I read your post saying you were going for an MRI and if you noticed I kept quiet
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Glad you survived the scan, H

My Hubby had an MRI a few years ago, he was in it for 45 minutes I think......

Good Luck with the results x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who's been shoved into one of these then, and glad someof you also think the noise is pretty horrendous too, especially for that length of time, and my tunnel never turned around, it was grey plastic and it stayed still the whole time, I know that coz of when I couldn't resist opening my eyes just a little bit! In fairness, I know they do this job day in day out, but it would have helped me a lot IF they had said "you're gonna hear some pretty loud bangs and gunshots inside there but don't worry, it's normal" I would have felt a lot better, coz I really didn't expect it at all, I was honestly thinking it would be quiet(ish) and I could even have a little nap, but no chance of that!

These things save our lives, we are lucky to have this opportunity, but sadly, I had to pay outside the NHS formine coz I would never have got it otherwise, I know that coz of previous experience with severe neck problems causing me to fall over lots, so this time, I didn't want things toget that bad, I wanted it sorted, so I made sure I got it, and just glad it's over and done with, not the most pleasant experience I've been through I can say that. I Googled it last night when I found out it was an MRI as opposedto a CT which they told me it was, and it actually says on there that it is not a pleasant experience far from it, although quite painless, so I'm with you on this one Jen, not for the feinthearted is it!

I just found out that a friend of ours tried 3 times to have one but he couldn't hack it and he had to be hypnotised before he could try again, and he's a 6ft brickhouse, so again, I say, me Jen, Hevvur and all you others are very brave, it's official now that I've had mine!!! Dawn.........are you deaf by any chance?????? PMSL!!!!

I hope all is ok with all of your results, as will be the case with me coz ever since I booked this thing last Friday, my shoulder seems to have made a miraculous recovery???!! How weird is that when I've been in agony since last November too! Psychoscematic (sp?) is it???

p.s. I hope you lot appreciate that I've cut me nails right down to my fingertips so I can type on here now too!!!!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 08:13 PM
I've had one and they're not pleasant, but the technology is amazing so it's well worth it just to see the fabulous pictures!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 08:16 PM
it would have been so much better if they had told you what to expect, I never understand why some of them dont, your better going in knowing whats going to happen, that way there are no nasty shocks for you 'and your not left wondering is this all going horribly wrong? they never mentioned it would sound like a war zone sort of thing....'
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Had one of these last week, and its not that bad. Shona like your Dougie I fell asleep too and its my 3rd no correction
4th one had them previously when had breast cancer and now back on the C train but happy to stay at the station for this time.

Honestly they are not that bad not the nicest of things but a neccesary evil.

They started me off slowly last weekend X ray on the Sat when admitted, ultrasound on the Sunday, CT scan on the Monday MRI on the Tues, back today for a scan on my liver and another ultrasound....see how big the "mass" has got it growing 4.5cm in 9 days from first X ray. Dave (my OH) said it was like Alien...it got a laugh from the nurse but not from me. But funny with hindsight.

You did make me laugh though Helena.Thank you for that.

Heather I agree on the PET scan I love the no swallowing thing I did ask would anyone mind if I breathe, or was that not allowed. Have one of these to come............but hey it won't be too bad.

Hope you get a positive and helpful diagnosis on your shoulder Helena.

Best of luck
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-02-2010, 08:23 PM
I've had a few and you're right - they take what seems to be an eternity and the noise is deafening.

I'm not clustrophobic but I can sympathise if you are.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >