Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 02:13 PM

Fun had trying to feed Rosie worming tablet

Does anyone else have this when its worming tablet time?

I have to pretend I'm making my self a sandwich, crush up the tablet and put it on top of the butter, then stick ham on top and feed it her because Rosie does not like the flavour, my friends dog eats them in a bit of cheese but I tried that but Rosie just spits them out think she's just clever
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Mine will eat the Drontal bone shaped ones like they are treats, and they are the worlds worst to worm normally. I syringe it into them, first get them in a headlock of course!!!
Couldn't believe the complete change in attitude when I produced the Drontal
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Yes she is 'smart' like Bella. I've done the 'bury it in a bit of soft cheddar' thing - she ate it with relish and I found the pill on the rug later on!

Crushed between 2 spoons and then mashed into a blob of butter - works every time.

Last time the vet here tried to administer one she BIT HIM.

In the UK at the Vets getting her one for travelling back (as per DEFRA rules) the wimpish vet gave up! Refused to let me have it to give her at home - had nothing they could disguise it in - refused to try again because he thought she would 'bite him'. I suggested muzzling her - he didn't have one small enough. I had to do the deed single-handed - not easy with one hand to hold dog (akin to trying to hold onto a 1 ft long live fish!) and one hand to force pill.

AND he still charged me more than £60 for that DIY debacle!

Oh and he had it in no other form than tablet. And DRONTAL is what's recommended by DEFRA.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 02:24 PM
I usually give treats first with no tablet, they are so busy going me, me, me that they don't notice the tablet when I sneak them in. I usually hide it in cheese.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 02:33 PM
When my dog was a GSD - I could have given her ANYTHING by just proferring it in the direction of her mouth lol! I used to say she'd probably be just as happy eating the CARDBOARD BOX that her treats were in as she was eating the treats - nothing 'touched the sides' as it went down!

Hell she had tried to eat a can of dogfood once before it was opened, puncturing the can and sucking it through the holes lol!

When you have what I call pincy poncy dogs (but just as doggy!) it's another matter.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-05-2013, 02:40 PM
I "wrap" tablets in a bit of squidgy cheese triangle - Pereg has so many each day that as soon as she hears me take a triangle [or part of one] out of the box she is sitting waiting for her pill! She knows perfectly well that there is a pill inside, especially the SAMe gigantic one as she watches me while I squidge a bit of cheese round it, but since the first couple of times when she "cheeked" it and spat it out and then had the indignity of having it put in her mouth, jaws held closed and throat stroked until she swallowed it, she now takes it with no problems.

At the surgery on Sunday Ram went to give her her worm pills - I had taken a cheese triangle to squidge them in but he has a small tin of some brand of dog food so scooped up a bit with his fingers, put the pill in it and offered it to her.

Hah. Da Booger carefully removed the pill and and put it on the table and licked off all the whatever it was from his fingers, so out came the cheese triangle and down went the pills!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 02:40 PM
I put it in a piece of sausage I know no dogs that can resist a sausage they don't even notice a tablet !
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Yes she is 'smart' like Bella. I've done the 'bury it in a bit of soft cheddar' thing - she ate it with relish and I found the pill on the rug later on!

Crushed between 2 spoons and then mashed into a blob of butter - works every time.

Last time the vet here tried to administer one she BIT HIM.

In the UK at the Vets getting her one for travelling back (as per DEFRA rules) the wimpish vet gave up! Refused to let me have it to give her at home - had nothing they could disguise it in - refused to try again because he thought she would 'bite him'. I suggested muzzling her - he didn't have one small enough. I had to do the deed single-handed - not easy with one hand to hold dog (akin to trying to hold onto a 1 ft long live fish!) and one hand to force pill.

AND he still charged me more than £60 for that DIY debacle!

Oh and he had it in no other form than tablet. And DRONTAL is what's recommended by DEFRA.
That's just awful.

Another poster said that if you give bits of the food first, the hidden pill just goes down as if it were another treat. That's the way I do it with bits of processed cheese slices. Milbemax used to do tasty chewable wormers but I haven't been able to get them for over a year or so. The cost is still the same for the non-tasty ones though, grrrrrrr.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 09:43 PM
The first time I gave Rosie a worming tablet she ate it no problem it's just this last time and this time lol, I go to Manor pharmacy ( they do animal meds as well) and got her Cestem flavoured! Not flavoured to Rosie's liking will try Drontal next
Malka I tried the said cheese triangle thought she'd taken it but found tablet on kitchen floor lol xx
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Sneaking tablets into food reminds me of years ago, when we got the car train to Scotland. We were told that our dog should be muzzled and kept in the luggage car. (having paid for a 1/2 price ticket!) We bought the muzzle and some sleeping tablets from the vet. I made an envelope in some raw liver and it went down a treat. We got to the station and decided we would sneak him into our sleeping compartment as we couldn't bear the thought of him being alone. Liver takes a long time to digest! He was wide awake during the journey and zonked when we arrived. As we got off the train, another woman, who had obviously not paid for her dog, remarked that she wouldn't have had the nerve to smuggle a dog that size! Poor dog, it took 24 hours to get over that awful tablet. He was walking into furniture as if he'd had 1/2 bottle of whisky. We drove to Scotland after that.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >