Our sister sites
labgirl
New Member!
Female 

02-12-2013, 07:54 AM

Dog scan

Hello everyone,
Please could someone tell me if possible
My dog is 30 days since mating had scan today the vet says pregnant with 5 pups but then went on to say could be more hiding in her ribs etc. have x ray booked for later on.
Could there be more
thanks
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2013, 08:12 AM
Yes there definitely could. It depends on the skill of the scanner and is usually done to just confirm pregnancy.
labgirl
New Member!
Female 

02-12-2013, 08:20 AM
moetmum hi it was just to confirm but the vet gave me a photo of scan which i never new they did and was able to say roughly how many, i didnt even suspect that she was in whelp until last week,(wasnt planned) so it was a nice surprise but expensive surprise so close to xmas too
thanks
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-12-2013, 09:36 AM
You never know exactly until they are born as she could re-absorb some of them. Mabs was predicted 5 or 6 and came in with 8. Lona was predicted 4 and had 12.
Just roll with the punches.......
No point in going over the top about it. I take mine for a vet check along with the puppies the earliest I can after she is done and dusted, then if there are any extra ones in there then it can be sorted. Sometimes the ones at the very back can die if there are a lot of puppies and the birth goes on for a while, so do make sure you see a vet and have everyone checked over.
icemaiden123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2013, 11:22 AM
I have always used a lady who scans mainly sheep for a living and she has been spot on about the number of pups due each time. It helps once the delivery starts as you have an idea of how many are due and if that number doesn't arrive you can contact the vets to get mum checked for the missing pups.

In my first litter we got 8 puppies, mum settled down as if she had finished but I knew she had been expecting 9 - got the vet out, he could feel something gave her an oxytocin shot and 3.5hrs after the first 8 had arrived out popped number 9 alive and well.

In the 2nd litter 7 had arrived and I was expecting 9 (again!) and another vet visit, oxytocin shot and the final 2 arrived - very tired but still alive.
labgirl
New Member!
Female 

05-12-2013, 01:54 PM
thanks very much for all the replies.
My own vet was back from holiday yesterday, he says although scan showed 5, he reckons about 8 or 9 so i better start getting in whelping supplies etc.
I am shocked but excited, dont blame my daughter for whats happened (i was in hospital serious op) and my dog came into season earlier than usual usually 8 monthly but came in at 6 months this time.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2013, 02:59 PM
If the litter is unplanned why are you going ahead with it ? Especially if you knew the date your bitch was mated Sorry words fail me There are too many dogs being bred already

BTW your bitch is a Yellow Labrador Retriever not a "Golden"labrador-no such breed exists
labgirl
New Member!
Female 

05-12-2013, 03:35 PM
because i just found out as i have been in hospital getting chemo thats why She was not due to come into season until early Jan. After weighing up the pros and cons with my vet i have decided to let the pregnancy continue
Yes i know she is a Labrador retriever but up in Scotland majority of people just refer to them as Golden Labs
labgirl
New Member!
Female 

05-12-2013, 03:39 PM
TBH i dont really need grief, i only asked a question about the certainty of an ultra sound. I didnt know the date she was caught as i have been in hospital for nearly 7 weeks.
She will be getting Speyed after the birth of litter as i never bought her for breeding, she was bought as a family pet,
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Joedee, that last paragraph was unnecessary.

This lady is new to the forum and asking for help, not to be contradicted on the breed of her dog
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >