View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kitkat_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2013, 01:18 AM

What is the difference between working trials and Schutzhund?

...between Working Trails and Schutzhund/IPO

From what I know they both have an Obedience section, a Tracking/Searching section and Protection?

From what I think at the moment WT is Searching instead of Tracking and you dont have to do the Protection part? and Schutzhund/IPO has to contain all 3 elements and uses Tracking and Searching?

I will have a better look into each tomorrow but please feel free to outline them/explain the differences to me
Jenny Olley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Working Trials

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working Trials is a kennel club licenced sport which is open to all breeds and cross breeds, they need to be KC registered but that can be on the activity or breed register.

The exercises
Nosework - Tracking, the dog has to follow where a person has walked between half an hour and 3 hours previously (depending on the stake), finding articles left by the tracklayer. The dog will be marked on how accurately they track. Tracks are approx half a mile long and have corners and angles, not just a straight line. Tracking surface can be grass, wheat, rape, plough or any other crop.
Search - Small articles, are placed in an square area, 15yds X 15yds or 25yds X 25yds (depending on the stake), the dog then has to locate them and retrieve them back to the handler who must work the dog from out side the square.

Agitlity
3 foot clear jump, 9 foot long jump and six foot scale, (height reductions up toUDex for small dogs) all jumps must be done under control, the dog must go over the scale wait in a position you have previously nominated (sit Down or stand), then return over the scale when commanded.

Control

On lead heelwork at 3 paces, slow, normal and fast, through left, right about turns and halts, without speaking to the dog, except to command when setting off from a halt (CD Only)
Off lead heelwork, as above but in all stakes
Sit Stay 2 minutes handler out of sight (CD only)
Down Stay 10 minutes handler out of sight (all stakes)
Retrieve a dumbell(except PD & TD Stakes)
SpeakPD & TD Stakes only
Formal recall (CD Only)
Steadiness to gun all stakes except CD
Sendaway To send the dog out to a point nominated by the judge, which may or may not have a marker ie a cone or pole, in TD & PD there will also be redirections, sending the dog left, right and back.

Then of course the is the PD (which can only be entered once you have a WDex) stake which has loads of other exersises in the bitework/manwork.

You have to gain a qualifying mark in each section, and overall to move on to the next stake.

There is also now an introductory stake, which is similar exercises to CD.

Don't know enough about IPO to comment on that sport, only just learing about it myself.