Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2013, 05:21 PM

Talk to me about working trials :)

ok, so you're probably wondering if there's anything i don't want to try doing with Sookie the 5 month old Dobermann, and it's pretty much true!
So talk to me about working trials. Is it fun? Is it something i can start doing with a 5 month old? How high a level of basic training does she need to start with and how do i get involved??!!!
Regale me with your experiences TIA!
Jenny Olley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Working Trials is a great sport for both Dog and handler. What level a trainer will require will depend on them, we ask anyone coming to us for trials training should have good basic obedience, including a retrieve to hand, short sit and down stays heelwork on and off lead, and a distance down, all of which will be learnt at a good pet class.

Obviously wit our own dogs we start training them early so my 4 month old pup has done loads with retrieving of articles and play, in addition to normal obedience.

You will find out whats involved if you look on the kennel club website, also have a look on the workingtrialsworld.co.uk website, to see where your nearest trial is to go along and have a look.

Finding somewhere to train, now thats the difficult bit if you are on [a social network], you could join the working trials world group and ask if anyone trains near you.
dave olley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Hi, over the years I have worked and trained dogs in obedience, agility, flyball and working trials,
The latter has become my passion as I consider trials has everything a dog and handler need in sport in training in relationship building and in responsible ownership.
First the control on and off lead including stays, distance control over 100s of yrds in send away.
Our dogs work free in open land with nearby livestock.
The agility section tests and strengthens the dogs fitness and character.
Tracking and search harnesses the dogs natural ability and motor patterns.
Finally for those who have real spirit and sense of adventure theres patrol dog stake.
Also to go up the stakes with your dog you have to attain 80% of the marks rather than win the stake.
So if this convinces you welcome to working trials.

Dave.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Not much more to add. It is great fun IF you like being outdoors in all weathers

All breeds can and do participate and qualify, there are not so many Dobes in WT as there used to be, John Fleet made up two WT Champions, I think the only two, but I may be wrong.

Nowadays most of the lower stakes are in one day which means less travelling than in TD/PD Championship which require competition over two days.

Many of us start training at 7 weeks old!
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks guys! Wish you were nearer to me so we could meet up and talk through it and see your dogs in action. Who knows, if we enjoy it and do well, we might see you at trials somewhere else in the country!!!!!
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2013, 12:43 PM
PS can i ask another couple of dumb questions?
Apart from all weather gear, do i need any particular dog equipment eg special leads etc?

Also, have any of you trained all the way up to the patrol PD side of things? Obviously i am a gazillion miles away from there but do i really want to teach our family pet to attack? What if I'm not a good enough trainer and handler? Can it go horribly wrong and mess up your loving family dog?!!!
dave olley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Hi, I work 2 dogs in championship patrol dog stake and its a sport not a way of turning dogs aggressive.
You have to qualify up the stakes before you can enter pd,so by then you should be a reasonable handler.
As Jenny suggests you need to get round some trials,but the sooner you start training the better.
Smokey Bear mentioned we start at 7 weeks.
Dave
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2013, 08:37 PM
I have trained a dog for PD (unfortunately had to retire the dog due to an injury) but he qualified SchH3 (or IPO as it is now called) and really as Dave says, it is not about teaching a dog to attack as such it is really just an extension of the tuggy game many people play with their dogs.

You really do not need any expensive equipment to start with and you can track a dog on a long line and a collar, use a stick for a tracking pole and lots of rubbish (yes rubbish) for search squares.

That is one (of the many) bonuses of WT over some other sports.
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2013, 02:59 PM
what they haven't told you is that once you get sucked in, you will develop an obsession for rubbish! You will begin to view bottle tops, broken key rings, random bits of strap, clothes pegs and used shotgun cartidges not as rubbish, but as .....articles!

Furthermore, you will worry your friends and family because each time you take a hanky or phone out of your coat pocket, a little fountain of rubbish will spill out and you will fall to your knees and scoop them up lovingly, muttering about how they are all 'articles'

On the postive side, you will make lots of new friends who think this behaviour is perfectly normal.
JustineWright
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2013, 02:05 PM
It is highly addictive…. So Much FUN
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >