View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 07:12 AM
My youngest border terrier HATED the lead when I first put it on him. He completely freaked. I have had various responses to first time on the lead but his was the extreme.

It really didn't take long at all for him to get used to it (using the above methods), and now, at just over a year, he loves what the lead signifies.

Helen
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Hi Paul, Sam is gorgeous One of my two dogs was very wary of the lead to start with but it didn't take long for them to accept it. Try not to pull him on it - try to get him to walk in the direction you are asking by tempting him with a 'happy' voice or treats if need be.
Enjoy him now as the puppy stage goes by in a flash.
ukpaul
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Hi Paul, Sam is gorgeous One of my two dogs was very wary of the lead to start with but it didn't take long for them to accept it. Try not to pull him on it - try to get him to walk in the direction you are asking by tempting him with a 'happy' voice or treats if need be.
Enjoy him now as the puppy stage goes by in a flash.
hi jenny, thanks for that i will keep going with him
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Don't pull at all when he sits back and freaks out best thing is keep the leash still and call with happy voice and treats shown as soon as he moves forward reward with treats pets super excited happy voice, so he will get to follow the lead.

Very sweet looking little guy by the way.
ukpaul
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by chaospony View Post
Don't pull at all when he sits back and freaks out best thing is keep the leash still and call with happy voice and treats shown as soon as he moves forward reward with treats pets super excited happy voice, so he will get to follow the lead.

Very sweet looking little guy by the way.
Thank you,
when he sits down or freaks out i do a sweet voice and treats but he will not move unless i pick him up
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by ukpaul View Post
Thank you,
when he sits down or freaks out i do a sweet voice and treats but he will not move unless i pick him up
Don't pick him up he needs to have time to figure it out once he does it the first time the faster the next and the next becomes. He will soon know that is the way to go.

Set aside time so you are not in a hurry, before you know it he will follow that lead.
ukpaul
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Don't pick him up he needs to have time to figure it out once he does it the first time the faster the next and the next becomes. He will soon know that is the way to go.

Set aside time so you are not in a hurry, before you know it he will follow that lead.
ok thanks for that
one more thing is when he is asleep he is dreaming kicking his legs out and crying ,what do i do wake him up or just leave him?

thanks
paul
ukpaul
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-07-2012, 01:23 AM

Hi
i just thought i would try what you and others have said to me , so i had some treats in my pocket ,put sam on the lead took him round the block and he was fine , few times he stoped so i waited and talked to him and showed him the treat and he made it all the way back home .
when we got home i gave him a big fuss and a treat
thanks to everyone for there tips and advice

Paul
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 03:52 AM
Oh well done! I've always walked them up and down on the lead indoors before trying it outside.

I did smile when reading about just letting them trail the lead. My min pin Bella reacts to having her lead on (but me not holding it) the same as if I'd tethered her to a fence! She just stands stock still!

This has proved to be invaluable a couple of times when I've accidentally dropped the lead while out with her when she was smaller and I'd tripped or got in a muddle with bags and lead etc. No fear of her running off at all! As soon as the handle hits the ground she freezes!
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2012, 07:20 AM
If he's asleep and kicking and making noises, just let him be. Probably just having some cool dog dream or processing impressions in his brain. Quite common and not dangerous .
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >