Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 12:38 PM

Moving in front of my chair when I leave the room

I am puzzled by this behaviour and wonder if anyone can shed any light on it? In addition to his bed upstairs, Max has a comfortable bed downstairs (which he does use), we also have two thick rugs, one in front of the fire (which he lies on in winter) and one in front of the patio doors (which he lies on in summer), he is also allowed up on the old sofa.

However, when I leave the room for a few minutes, say to go and get something from upstairs, when I come back he has always moved from wherever he is to lie down in front of my chair, meaning I have to move him so that I can sit down. He doesn't seem to do this though when I go and post a letter, go into the garden or go out for the evening. It only seems to be when I leave for a short period of time (although I don't know if he does lie in front of my chair when I go out for the evening and has then moved by the time I come back).

It is rather frustrating to have to keep making him move so that I can sit back down but my main concern is his comfort. He is around 9 1/2 so I don't really want him to lie on the hard floor and I don't want to have to keep making him get up from the floor.

My chair is not next to a radiator or somewhere really cosy or in front of the window with a nice view for him. The only way I seem to get around this is by putting something in front of my chair or leaving it out (it is a recliner) so is difficult to get back on afterwards if it has been left out!

Any ideas would be gratefully received
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Razzle does this. No idea why- maybe he feels comfortable there. The other dogs just climb in it.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks Claire, at least I am not alone then!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 02:02 PM
MIA sneaks onto my chair when I leave the room, then moves when I come back in
We say she is keeping my spot warm but I doubt she is being so kind think its cos its warm
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-01-2012, 02:08 PM
oh, it must be dominance
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
oh, it must be dominance
You`ve not met Razzle have you?
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
MIA sneaks onto my chair when I leave the room, then moves when I come back in
We say she is keeping my spot warm but I doubt she is being so kind think its cos its warm
Cheeky Mia You see, I would understand it if my chair was in a really warm place, even if he was getting on my chair. But he doesn't, he gets up off the warm rug in front of the fire (or where ever he is) and flops heavily onto the wooden floor. As I say, it is frustrating to shift him just so that I can sit down but what bothers me the most is his joints, and they are old joints

oh, it must be dominance
I wondered how long it would be before someone mentioned the 'D' word. I didn't think it would be you though Krusewalker......
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Sorry being facetious. Just getting it over and done with early to save the thread
Levinia1979
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Mine always do this, they are always in or besdie my chair if i go anywhere for short periods. If i am out for longer they just roam round the house.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Sorry being facetious. Just getting it over and done with early to save the thread
Thought that might have been the case

Originally Posted by Levinia1979 View Post
Mine always do this, they are always in or besdie my chair if i go anywhere for short periods. If i am out for longer they just roam round the house.
Ok, so I am clearly by no means the only one whose dog does this. That is good to know I shall just have to put it down to being one of Max's many strange little habits

Thanks All
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >