Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
*SJ*

According to Simon Gower 'a vet should be able to examine 80+ dogs within a 30 - 40 minute period'
So why do you think that half a minute to examine a greyhound is not long enough? Atleast they get examined, there are many sports involving animals where the animal is not even checked by a vet.

It only takes me just over a minute to go though stretches/flexes and check the muscles for injury/tears.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post

They get rid of their dogs because of their love for the breed? Lol.
Yes, so that the dog goes on to have a life after racing and after kennels.

They obviously couldn't keep retiring the dogs to their own home, how many greys can you fit in a house?
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
Estimated by whom?
Estimated by me, based on these FOI requests

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...ent=LU3006.jpg

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=LU0108-2.jpg

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=LU281008.jpg
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by *SJ* View Post
Yes, you and me both and mine are. Certainly never made any profit out of them as an owner, infact they cost me a fortune when racing.
Ditto
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 06:23 PM
I'll enjoy the moment thoroughly.

Can you tell me if a vet is present in parks where dogs are walked and running loose? If not, why not? An animal is likely to get injured.

If my dog is injured at home, he will have to wait the same length of time as if he/she is injured at the track...WHAT is the difference?
Involvement in 'Commercial Activity' is the legal term which differentiates the two.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Jodie,

Simon Gower actually said this:-

‘It is critical that we raise the standard of inspection inline
with that imposed by DEFRA and local authorities. As a guide,
local authority inspections of boarding kennels can be expected to be charged at up to £120, and I would anticipate that
most greyhound trainers kennels would command a fee of up to this. The welfare of our racing dogs is the prime concern
for us all.
‘When kennelling dogs for racing, a vet should be able to examine 80+ dogs within a 30 - 40
minute period. I would expect
that a suitably trained veterinary surgeon would be able to do the same during a kennel visit.
‘To do this the vet must have seen every greyhound during a kennel visit, and where special attention to individuals is called
for, then a full examination is warranted, exactly the same as the process adhered to at each race meeting.”In a letter of clarification to Simon Gower from the Certification SubCommittee
at the Royal College of Veterinary
Surgeons, it states:
“As the wording on the certificate is 'inspection' and not 'examination', the subcommittee
feel that veterinary surgeons
should inspect the animals, and only carry out an examination where they feel there is a problem with the animals.‘The veterinary surgeon is certifying that 'inspection' of the animals has taken place, and not examination of each animal.”

When read in context it takes on a whole different meaning to the little one liner you quoted of it. Hardly balanced is it?
Oh how typical, one comment by Simon was being twisted by an anti, there's a surprise. I assumed (and shouldn't have) that she was talking about dogs being examined after kennelling at the track.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Personally , I have no problem with the above, better for a dog to spend its time by someone fire then the rest of it life in kennels
Hence one reason why trainers rehome. They couldn't retire every single dog/bitch to their couch so they'd end up living in kennels until old age. Whereas they could be having a life with a family somewhere.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Well if they can't, where do you antis get your figures from?
From the stud books - The APGAW and Donoughue reports - RSPCA - vague RGT re-homing figures and even vaguer industry figures - hence the estimated 5,000 - 8,000.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Yes, but it could equally be 2000 or 10000, it's an estimation. Not a fact.
Spot on! Never claimed anything other than that.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Please don't tell me what I must find a level of acceptance with. That is such a sweeping statement it is untrue.

No I haven't told you the name of my dogs, don't try to make out I have something to hide by your use of '............' I don't feel I have the need to have to prove to you I am being truthful in what I've said throughout this thread.
I think its fair to say if you support something - you find a level of acceptance with it.

It has been your instance that everything be backed up by 'good factual evidence' - something which you appear to be reluctant to do in order to substantiate the welfare of the dogs.
Page 57 of 157 « First < 7 47 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 67 107 > Last »