Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 01:38 PM

I need help with my gate!!!

Please can anyone offer any advice. I have a small sidegate which next door can have access through(thought they rarely so!) but its my garte. However Im not sure who keeps leaving it open but it is extremely annoying, I do have a please shut the gate sign on it!! I just dont want Flower to run on to the road.

I sent the OH off to get a spring for it but the place he went to only sold springs that could attach to a fence post. Our gate is attached to the wall, is there anything I can buy that will spring it shut??

Please help!!! xxxxx
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Sorry but why can't he just drill into the bricks and fix it that way.

I can't see what difference it makes whether it's on brick or wood.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 02:20 PM
should it not matter?? I assume as we are both new to DIY he wouldnt have known..he went in and asked the ppl there who said it was for a fence not a wall??
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi Anna

That must be annoying for you to keep finding the gate open.

Agree with Colin, that you should still be able to drill into the wall & attach that way. Places like Focus & Homebase do have some people who know about DIY as well as just the sales staff (sorry, don't mean that rudely but some know nothing about their products) but if you are struggling you could always try somewhere like Jewsons, I've always found them very helpful in the past if you need advice. xx
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Probably gonna sound daft, but is this a right of way for them? If not can't you ask them if you can block it up?
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Thank you!! i have just rung my dad...always helps me out!!hehe!! Im waiting for him to ring me back but I will try homebase and a few of the builders merchants in town! it is so annoying as last time she escaped she was at the pub playing football with some strangers???!
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by petticoat74 View Post
Probably gonna sound daft, but is this a right of way for them? If not can't you ask them if you can block it up?

Yeah they do have right of way unfortunately but only for there bins to be put out...but to be honest the man is really old and I think he has dementia so I struggle to talk to him...would have mentioned it but he doesnt really use it very often at all, he normally uses his front door! I sometimes think its the boy from next door getting his ball he has kicked over...really mad about it though...cant ppl read....!!!!!!hehe
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by annajennison View Post
Yeah they do have right of way unfortunately but only for there bins to be put out...but to be honest the man is really old and I think he has dementia so I struggle to talk to him...would have mentioned it but he doesnt really use it very often at all, he normally uses his front door! I sometimes think its the boy from next door getting his ball he has kicked over...really mad about it though...cant ppl read....!!!!!!hehe
Ah thats a shame, cos if he didn't need it, you could put some sort of block your end.. that you could move if you needed to or a big padlock!!
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Yeah I really am tempted to put a padlock on it..not sure it would go down too well...might try it though.. xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 03:39 PM
If you're thinking of a padlock, I think a bolt would be better and that way you can't be reprimanded for locking it so to speak, coz they would have easy access to the bolt perhaps if they put their hand through the gaps in the gate if it has any???? Don't know??

We have bolts on the inside of our front gate which are always kept bolted, and a numbered padlock on the driveway gates which only those I want coming in know the number? Maybe that might be an idea if you did want to put a padlock on it? Mind you, if he's got dimentia he won't remember the number will he!

I think a heavy duty spring is your only answer. Are you talking about a small waist high gate or a high gate 6ft tall?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >