View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 10:14 AM
I started trying to train this some while ago and to be honest, never got past a few steps...

I started off stepping forwards into her but whilst she moved back, she then got confused whether she was supposed to be doing a show stand as that's what ringcraft trainers had told me to do. Now her stand has totally disappeared - not so good for ringcraft!

I then did the between the legs thing and that worked to an extent and she'll 'back up' with me stood in front of her and if she's stood next to me - I tend to actually use it at the door or if she's got ahead of me onlead - 'back up' and she comes back to my side, away from the door or loosening the lead.

However - she'll only do a few steps. I've tried holding out and sometimes I can get another step out of her to c/t but if she does go any further back she starts to curve her back end around.

Takara is not the sort of dog who will disregard personal safety - she's very careful over everything and I think she worries she'll back into things.

We've done all the back end awareness exercises - it's only in this exercise that she seems to lose control of her rear!

Any ideas? I've tried building it up so she can't twist around (make it a narrow track etc) but as soon as it's removed, she does it again...
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Do you use a clicker? If you do make sure you click while she is still straight, even if it is only a few steps.

Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I started trying to train this some while ago and to be honest, never got past a few steps...

I started off stepping forwards into her but whilst she moved back, she then got confused whether she was supposed to be doing a show stand as that's what ringcraft trainers had told me to do. Now her stand has totally disappeared - not so good for ringcraft!

I then did the between the legs thing and that worked to an extent and she'll 'back up' with me stood in front of her and if she's stood next to me - I tend to actually use it at the door or if she's got ahead of me onlead - 'back up' and she comes back to my side, away from the door or loosening the lead.

However - she'll only do a few steps. I've tried holding out and sometimes I can get another step out of her to c/t but if she does go any further back she starts to curve her back end around.

Takara is not the sort of dog who will disregard personal safety - she's very careful over everything and I think she worries she'll back into things.

We've done all the back end awareness exercises - it's only in this exercise that she seems to lose control of her rear!

Any ideas? I've tried building it up so she can't twist around (make it a narrow track etc) but as soon as it's removed, she does it again...
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Yep - we clicker train a lot and have been careful to only click what i like... I probably just need to give myself a kick and get practicing more - I just haven't really stuck with it!
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 10:07 PM
I trained my deaf dog to back up. she'll back up in front of me, beside me and around me. BUT I must be right there. she will not back up away from me, ONLY if I am walking with her. I haven't worked with her on that for awhile... I should give it another shot. Scout is pretty amazing. my new deaf dog however.... I dont think she'll be all that easy to train, being a mini dachshund. lol
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Terra is working this out quite quickly so am pleased. The clicker training is working very well. Still trying to get Dolly to do the leg weave but we are getting there!
Becky
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Very pleased with how Terra is progressing. Hopefully may even get her back on command only at end of week!
Becky
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2