Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ruggedtoast
New Member!
Male 

13-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Dog bit baby

First post, I’m dog-ignorant so I hope someone can help.

My wifes parents have an elderly (12 years old) but otherwise quite vital Westie. A few weeks after our son was born we took him down for a family barbecue at his grandparents.

By the time I’d got back from the car I learned that Hamish had jumped up and had a nip at the baby when my mother in law was holding him.

The in-laws promised to isolate the dog, and seemed to take it very seriously, but then just didn’t bother. All the family took turns holding the bub that night and my wife and I found it stressful shepherding people into warding off poor old Hamish. No one could work out what our problem was and the parents just started denying there was a problem, even getting ratty with my wife for trying to stop Hamish’s freedom of movement.

The next day was no better so we had enough and did the three hour drive back home.

Hamish is generally a very placid amiable animal, and he’s obviously quite old, he has however been completely spoiled. If another dog comes near him they pick him up, they once even kicked a dog on a campsite for sniffing at him.

At home my wife finally told me what really happened and that Hamish had tried to snap at our sons head, was pushed off by mother in-law so he just grazed it, tried to bite his arm, was pushed off again, tried to bite his leg, got clouted and was shouted at.

I’d had no idea the extent of this and would have refused to have the dog anywhere near him if I’d known. My wife has always been very scared of standing up to her parents, who like to see what they want to see.

As far as I’m concerned its game over for Hamish, he will be kept away from the baby or we’re not taking him to his grandparents, a point they seem to have conceded after my wife finally stood up to them about it when they let him back in on another visit to “see how it goes”.

However, all the family down there have dogs and kids, and I really don’t want my son to grow up scared of dogs. Dogs are inescapable if our son is to see his family and cousins. The parents in law seem to be in denial that Hamish ever did anything wrong and the other family members now think we don’t want their dogs around our son. My wife is scared of dogs and is now anxious about it, especially as they all seem to be rather liberal with dog discipline.

Is it normal for dogs to try and bite babies, how can we tell the warning signs? I am really nonplussed by it all as our son was just this inert 3 week old little thing and this old placid family dog tried to have a go at him, how can we trust any dog?

Also my wifes brother and partner have just had a new baby, and have a young westie themselves. I have told my wife she must tell her brother in law about the incident as I’m assuming if Hamish was jealous of babies before he’s going to be a lot worse after spending last weekend locked in the conservatory whining and barking while watching our baby getting made a fuss of on the other side of the glass.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Not all dogs have an innate understanding of babies and you can't expect them to. Some seem to take to nursemaid straight away (like my Selkie), but others need to be carefully introduced and taught how to behave and what is and is not allowed around baby.

To the dog, the baby is just a small animal being held up by you. If the dog is prone to being jealous of other animals, then it can be jealousy, if the dog is used to being allowed to hunt, then it can be prey drive. Small wriggling animal can be seen unfortunately as a weak prey. It is vital that the dog is taught and trained what to do around baby and what is acceptable BEFORE baby is introduced. Training should be with a doll wrapped in clothes that smell of baby. The dogs are not allowed to approach the bundle AT ALL. They need to be taught to keep their distance and to respect anything that has that smell.

If your MIL is not willing to go through this training with Hamish, then for everyone's safety. Dog and baby must never be allowed in the same room. Or Hamish needs to be on leash and/or muzzled whenever you visit.

But don't let this put you off all dogs. Some are wonderful with babies and children and the relationship that a child has with a dog can be a special thing. To avoid a phobia in later life, my friend's little girl was introduced to my dogs as a way for her to get over her fear of dogs that was instilled in her by an overprotective and dog phobic grandparent.

Don't let your fear colour your babies perceptions. Teach your little one as they grow up, how to behave around dogs, how to be calm and have respect, but not to be afraid, not to scream or run or make sudden movements and they will grow up safer for it. Even the most stable dog could snap if a child begins to flail and scream at them in fear.

But that is something for later, when your little one is toddling and talking... For now they just need protecting. Keep Hamish under strict control and ask cousins etc to make sure they do the same with their dogs. Just ask for some respect and space from the dogs.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 01:11 PM
oh crickey, where to begin?

Firstly, I'm so sorry that you and your wife have had such a bad experience with dogs.

Dogs are not dissimilar to children in that some naturally have good dispositions, others less so. But like children, what does play a huge part is how they are brought up. A young child who is not used to sharing will often throw a temper tantrum if they see someone else getting more attention/having what they want and dogs, if not brought up correctly, can do exactly the same.

Westies can have quite a fiery temperament - after all they are terriers - designed to hunt and kill. In the rights hands they can make great pets but unfortunately too many people get them as lap dogs, wanting to fuss them and spoil them....and spoil them they do. Can you imagine what a little brat a child would be who constantly got their own way and was allowed to do what they like....well dogs can be just the same and it sounds like this is the case with your in-laws dog.

I think it is important that you try and tell the rest of the family exactly why you are concerned, though I guess if the in-laws are now denying anything happened, there could be some doubt (if they have never seen him try and bite anyone else).

I also think it would be good if you and your wife and your baby could spend time with friends/family who do have 'well balanced' dogs - especially those that have been used to being around young children.

I'm glad that you don't want your child frightened of dogs, but it would be good if your wife could get over her fear too. Animals often sense when people are not comfortable and I'm by no means saying that this is the reason for the accident, but again, like a naughty child, if they sense the adult is 'weak', they are more likely to play up.

As for recognising the signs of an intention to bite/nip, I'm afraid this is something which is really difficult to explain and partly depends on whether the dog is doing it out of fear or being territorial, or some other reason. Often it is preceeded by intense stares and stiffening of the body, but by no means in all cases (and equally dogs can do this and have no intention of biting).

And no, it is not common for a dog to bite a baby (or any human), but most dogs who have never met a baby will be very unsure of it.

Ideally it would be great if you could persuade the in-laws to get in a dog behaviourist (while you are there with the baby) so the behaviourist can see what is going on and help overcome the problem. However, I suspect that if your in-laws are denying the problem, they are extremely unlikely to agree to that.

I wish there was more I could think of to help.
ruggedtoast
New Member!
Male 

13-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks. They do this thing where Hamish is given stuffed or plastic toys, often with squeakers in. He gets very excited by it and tears them apart.

The in-laws have always thought it was great fun to see him do this and encouraged it. On the first visit Hamish pounced on a bag I put down with our baby's stuffed toy bunny in and tried to do the same. I had to chase him to get the toy back.

This was about 5 minutes before he lost it with jealousy when his "mum" had our son, and tried to bite him.

My wife saw her sister bitten by a dog when they were kids and has been phobic ever since, Her sister is fine and now has a very exuberant springer spaniel, when her kids were babies they had a vile Jack Russell that bit her daughter puncturing her cheek, which they then gave away.

The springer has a nice temperament but is like tigger and will jump on your lap before turning round and launching off your stomach (great when my wife was pregnant), they dont seem to know what to do about it.

I just kind of wish the dogs that my son will meet would be better behaved ones. Will definitely not be giving Hamish a second chance, especially as he still bothers and huffs and pulls on whatever is restraining him when MIL has the baby.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Tearing soft toys to get at the squeek is a very dog thing I'm afraid, but you're right to think this is likely to have 'psyched him up'. He should also have been taught what he is allowed to touch and what he is not. (my dogs will tear a squeeky toy to shreds in minutes but will not touch anything that has not been given to them).

It's such a shame that you seem to have only experienced not very good dog ownership. Most sensible dog owners teach their dogs not to jump up on people.

I wonder whether, when your son is a bit older, you could find a dog training club that would let you go along and mix with the well trained dogs - definitely something to think about for the future if you are still struggling to find well behaved dogs/owners to social with.
ruggedtoast
New Member!
Male 

13-07-2009, 01:24 PM
@ Hali

Thanks for your reply. Thats right, theres no chance of a trainer for Hamish as he can do no wrong as far as the in laws are concerned.

Its already the "unspoken thing" that we mustnt say why Hamish is in the other room. Great grandmother was quite puzzled by it and doubtless left none the wiser the other day when we and she visited.

As usual with animal problems its the owners that have the problem I think. I just dont trust them to keep our son safe from Hamish, its a pain as we can never leave him with them now for babysitting.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Just like to say- testing a dogs reaction with a doll is not the best way imo. dogs are not stupid and no the difference between a real baby and a doll, therefore you cant expect the same reaction. Sadie would quite happily devour a doll in seconds but has been so gentle with my son from day one.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm sorry for your experience.
Sadly many people don't train their dogs as you have found out. Its such a shame its family because you don't want to end up being isolated.
Hali's posts are sound. Its what I would have said too.

I'm a terrier owner ( russell not westie) and they are not too old to learn at 12. I hope you can persuade the in laws to do some training with Hamish. Best of luck.
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-07-2009, 02:51 PM
is your mother in law very short or was she sitting down holding your baby? You say the dog jumped up to nip whilst your mother had the child. Westies don't jump very high so something seems a little odd. The dog is probably somewhat over indulged. I would never leave a baby where a dog could get at it and unless the Westie is going to bite you then gently pushing it away and making it keep its distance should not be an issue. A new baby is a worry experience all round and your wife's fear is probably being picked up by a dog used to having all of the attention. Common sense, inclusion and some gentle "training" will prevail in most cases i think.
ruggedtoast
New Member!
Male 

13-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Haha - yes she is pretty short, and she was sitting down.

Hamish tried to do the same thing every other time she was holding him and she pushed him off with her foot. Except one time she didnt see him coming and I had to leap over and stop him.

Overindulged isnt the word for Hamish, he's had every indulgence imaginable, and on the few occasions he has barked or snapped at humans (this included) had every excuse made for him.

He's not allowed near other dogs ever in case they bite him, and is picked up if theres one anywhere around. I feel sorry for him really and its probably a testament to his calm nature that he isnt terrible.

I'm sure he could be trained but they wont admit theres a problem and seem determined to think it was a one off (despite the fact he looks like he wants to do it again each time MIL has the baby).

The other dogs he knows are sis's Springer, who is just way too much for him and makes him hide, and brother who's just had the very new baby, who has an exuberant little submissive westie who likes Hamish but Hamish doesnt seem to like much in return and nips at to show his dominance (little westie seems indifferent to this).

It looks like he was doing the same thing with our baby.

MIL cooes over Hamish and talks to him like a baby, and its obviously just flipping some jealousy switch in his doggy brain when she does it to the bub in the same tone of voice. He's pretty indifferent to the baby unless she has him. But her and FIL holding him is kind of the point of going there.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >