Our sister sites
Our sister sites
slimjim
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-07-2009, 03:53 PM

Ozzy training and play biting

Hi all,
It was Ozzy's first training on wednesday night. He didnt get much done as he was too interested in everything around him and all the other dogs which the trainer said was normal.
We took some ideas away and are slowly getting a couple of basic commands (sit and down) done at home and we have found cheese to be one of his favourite treats.
One thing I forgot to ask the trainers was how to stop play biting. I want to try to stop this as soon as poss because when he starts he seems to get carried away and I am worried it will go to far especially with the kids.
Can anyone give pointers how to stop this?
Thanks,
James.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 04:31 PM
With Kismet I was able to stop it easily by yelping or high pitched squeaking then stopping play and turning away from her... She soon got the message that biting meant game over. We are still able to play some rough and tumble and a yelp stops play dead if she gets carried away.

If they're old enough to understand and help with training, teach the kids too, that if he puppy mouths at them at all, even if it doesn't hurt and he's just playing, they have to do the same... Yelp and stop playing, turn away, or walk out of the room. Don't keep squealing, or run because that will just make him excited, but one sharp yip then nothing.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
One thing I forgot to ask the trainers was how to stop play biting. I want to try to stop this as soon as poss because when he starts he seems to get carried away and I am worried it will go to far especially with the kids.
Can anyone give pointers how to stop this?
Thanks,
James.
It sounds to me as if you have a eight month old dog behaving like an eight week old puppy, because of lask of training & socializing by his previous owners. So you need to go back to basics.

Firstly do not react when he starts play biting, no yelping, no noise, no eye contact get up walk away & shut the door behind you. Wait for 30 secs or so & return & do some"armchair"training with him for treats.

Clickers are very useful as the click is the cue & then the reward. The I click that Karen Prior markets are brilliant-a quiet click & small enough to fit easily into your hand.

Teach him a recall when you are sitting down by calling him once with a recall word, such as "Ozzie come"when he comes to you hold the treat in front of you slightly(both hands together)& then bring your hands in to you & up to your chest above his head level. As soon as he sits click & treat. Then throw a treat over his head so he moves away from you & repeat the recall.

If at any stage he attempts to mouth you, no reaction, get up & walk away out of the room & shut the door.

He should soon pick up on the mouthing means you leave & behaving gets a click & a treat. You need to stretch his mind & keep him occupied with good behaviour

Have a look in your local library for Karen Pryors book on clicker training or if you can afford it buy a copy(Amazon are usually good value) Have a good read on the link in red above.