Female 

28-04-2009, 06:33 PM
lol thanks, blush!!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Working type dogs without the correct stimualation...will still work, but instead of with you they will go Self employed!!!!! Not really what you want in a relaxing house!!!!!!!!!!
Got it in a nutshell there Mich!
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Working type dogs without the correct stimualation...will still work, but instead of with you they will go Self employed!!!!! Not really what you want in a relaxing house!!!!!!!!!!
In a nutshell
Having had 2 bored springers when something popped up and they werent taking out, at times was at my wits end.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I often feel the kc definition can cause confusion, eg I have a working group dog,

though many of the real working dogs come from the pastoral group, terrier group, gundog group,

I would think dogs doing jobs from the working group may be far less than dogs doing jobs from any other group.

as to owning a working dog, eg a collie, personaly I wouldnt take on a working collie, I see the farm BC's all the time, sometimes work them, they are happy healthy dogs, but I wouldnt dare for a second think I could take a pup from either of them and keep it as a pet, not with the lifestyle I have,
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Hahaha - GENIUS!!!

BTW - I am reading my thread I just don't have much to input, it was more for educational purposes ;o)
So has the thread helped at all Pidge?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
So has the thread helped at all Pidge?
Yes, it's confirmed that what we're now doing is right.

He can be a pet in a pet home but also needs to not just have stimulation and exercise (which we're doing), but needs the RIGHT stimulation and exercise (which we weren't doing).

I'm still abit confused about the working line, working type, working breed thing though?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 05:18 PM
I think you are right The general consensus seems to be that it is ok to have a working breed as a pet, so long as you understand its inherited traits, accept them and work with them, in order to have a satisfied dog.

What confuses you about the working line, type, breed thing?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Yes, it's confirmed that what we're now doing is right.

He can be a pet in a pet home but also needs to not just have stimulation and exercise (which we're doing), but needs the RIGHT stimulation and exercise (which we weren't doing).

I'm still abit confused about the working line, working type, working breed thing though?
is woody from working lines?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think you are right The general consensus seems to be that it is ok to have a working breed as a pet, so long as you understand its inherited traits, accept them and work with them, in order to have a satisfied dog.

What confuses you about the working line, type, breed thing?
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
is woody from working lines?
I thought he was a working breed, but not from working lines as 3 generations back are pets only. He doesn't have any FTCH in him until 4th and 5th gen.

So is he a working line?

Either way, as a breed we've identified the things he needs to be doing and as a dog we have looked at the things he is good at and enjoys and come up with daily plans to keep his little mind and body going.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 05:22 PM
here is a link to the kc working breed section,.
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2

though if you look at it, it does not have most of the breeds you would think of first when thinking working dogs.
Page 5 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »