View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2009, 03:45 PM
No, people don't avoid Missy - they all seem to want to fuss her, which she loves.

The only dog I am wary of approaching us would be a black staff, purely because Missy was attacked by one. But, we have a lovely owner of a black staff in the next road and he and Stan are helping Missy overcome her fear.
So, fingers crossed, very soon we hope we'll be wary of no-one. x
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Do you think people who don't know that much about dogs, assume they are American Bulldogs maybe? or something else?

I've had people ask me if Aura is an american bull dog, Amstaff or pitbull/staff cross, I just say no shes pure Boxer, to which they reply oh she cant be she has a tail,.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2009, 04:04 PM
That Tail comment is unreal!! But saying that it seems a reflection of society these days....
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2009, 04:58 PM
We have had it happen, but usually it's people with small dogs, I think they think 3!!!!!!!!! and mines a little un
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2009, 05:09 PM
People with small dogs often avoid mine.. 2 'wolfy' dogs and a lurcher, clearly we'll eat their little dog if they don't hoik it into the air and carry it away.... I have been shouted at by chihuahua owners that my 'wolfdog' should be on a lead as they hold their poor dogs at arms length above their heads and Kismet just dances at them not knowing what to make of this bizarre behaviour till I call her back...

No accounting for some people
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2009, 05:22 PM
I do avoid Jack Russells as my dogs have been attacked by several of this breed. I assume it is something in the JRT breeding that provokes them to go into fight mode when they see a Chi. Of course, my little ones don't stand a chance, so I will cross the road if I see a JRT. Not worth the risk.

I have had a Dad come up to me (was walking towards us and his wife and kids were behind) and say that his kid was afraid of dogs. I didn't really know what to say apart from "oh right, well don't worry mine are used to kids and friendly" but her persisted again that his kid was afraid of all dogs. My Daughter offered to cross the road with the Chis but I said no. Instead we pulled the dogs over to one side of the pavement (they were onlead) and stayed still while the family walked past Don't think that would really help the kid with his fear but the Dad was a bit of a twit Wonder if all dog owners would stand close to the wall and not move whilst the man walked past with the kids - some people I mean, if he was that worried, he could have crossed the road with the kids but somehow he felt his kid's fear was my responsibility
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2009, 06:47 PM
I often get people avoid us by crossing over. Young person + black dog = sheer terror!!

I am also amazed by the number of children that are terrified of dogs. Last week, my dog was drinking from the stream during a walk (off lead) when a family came around the corner. When the girl (probably 6-7 years old) saw my dog in the stream, she froze and began screaming. The dad then shouted over that she was terrified of dogs and could I grab my dog until she walked past. I did, but considering that my dog did not even acknowledge them and was no where near them at any point, it seemed like a major over reaction from the child.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Do you think people who don't know that much about dogs, assume they are American Bulldogs maybe? or something else?
I do get the american bulldog comments quite a bit .
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Yes, yes, yes. People tend to think GSD's are nasty (especially the noisy ones...).

In all honesty, I won't generally approach other dogs, but if they come up to me I am more than happy to make a fuss. The only breed I am cautious of is Dobe's (but yet I will still stroke them as I have only came across friendly ones).
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Yep, quite a bit but not always
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >