Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 10:28 PM

Hydrotherapy for a water hater?

Eddy absolutely hates water (with a passion) to the extent that he needs dragging into the bathroom for a bath/shower and can, despite arthritis and muscle wastage, jump clear of the roll top bath to get out.

Is there any way I could get him doing hydrotherapy without giving the old chap a heart attack?
There is a centre in Sheffield and I know it would be really good for his hind leg weakness (which is entirely muscular due to walking stiffly) but don't want to put him through something he'd absolutely hate.

Does anyone have any experiences? It's all very well asking the staff but of course they're going to say 'yes we'll give it a try' because it's money in their pocket!

Thanks.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 10:32 PM
I know a few people who have and I know a few who have went purely to get their dog over their fear of water in a safe environment. I'd go along if I were you and have a chat to them, i'm sure they will be really helpful and you will be able to ask them how they go about things with the nervous dogs e.t.c and gauge from their answers if they are genuine.

Best of luck, I know 3/4 of mine would hate it also!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 10:51 PM
hi
i was a hydrotherapist for two years.even dogs that like to swim do not really like the first few sessions for what reasons do you want ht? for certain things a water walker may be better he may feel safer what i would say is be carefull where you go for ht i know they are in the process of,but there is no qualification for ht and almost anyone can do it without much experience or training.i would go to the pool and watch some swims and talk to them. i prefer to free swim the dogs but some are hoist only also try to use a pool that is affiliated to a qualified physio if poss.i would only go if you can do it at least a couple of times a week and make it fun but do bear in mind he wont like it at all at first but may learn to love it given time
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Lottie The Hydrotherapy we go to said they often help dogs overcome their fear of water because I was really terrified the 1st time Ben went. They were brilliant with him, the 1stswim was literally about 2 or 3 minutes, once the dogs get used to the factthey are safe they actually enjoy it and Ben runs up the teps now, a far cry from the shaking pup flat to the floor!

Like Tupacs2legs says free swimming is IMO the best, the placeBen goes has hoists etc but they are only used in extreme cases eg bad paralysis Ben gets to free swim and also is guided bythe instructor.

I personally would phone/go and see them and IMO would avoid anywhere that uses noose type poles to support dogs , as the twisting etc can damage the spine. Ben has to wear a life jacket so he is completely and securely supported with no stress on his joints or back. It also makes him feel safer, afterhe got used to it LOL, as he can'tsink even if he struggles

I would also look for a member of the canine hydrotherapy association as they at least have some governing rules and make sure they insist on speaking to your vet or getting clearance that your vet says itsok as that, to me, indicates they are interested in yourdogs welfare and wantto check out all medical history conditions etc

Where Ben goes there are always two members of staff and one is always in the pool with the dog.

Highly recommend it for muscle tone its worked wonders with Bens legs. Hope that helps
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 08:37 AM
The hydro pool I went along to the people were great - they spent a lot of time helping the dog - not pushing it at all.

I would go along and watch and talk to them - I'm sure they will be able to give you all the info
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

30-06-2009, 11:18 AM
My friend's Mum's GSD had gone thru' a big op on its back end and the vet prescribed hydrotherapy treatment for the dog. Misty loves it - still goes because she loves it!! The treatment helped her brilliantly and she is like a pup again running around playing.

I think it would be good for your dog, Lottie. Your vet would advise you I am sure.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2009, 01:56 PM
It's great there are good experiences from doing this, although me personally I'm not a fan of the "confront your fears" philosophy.

If you do speak to that holistic vet we discussed in your other thread, speak to him about his fear of water.

You might find you're surprised at the cause!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys!

The HT is for Eddy as he is 14.5 years old, arthritic but more concerning, he has muscle wastage in his back legs.

It's only an 'old age' thing and probably partly due to the arthritis that he's not using his legs properly and therefore gets the weakness.

He only gets shorter walks now as particularly at this time of year, the heat gets to him and he gets tired quickly, he also doesn't like other dogs coming upto him as he doesn't see or hear very well so tends to get toilet breaks to the garden and one walk of about half an hour each day (which also helps to keep a bit of weight on him - he gets incredibly skinny walking longer walks more often).

I'd love to take Takara to HT as well but just can't afford to go just because she likes swimming!

Thanks for all the advice - I will get back to you and let you know how we get on!