Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post

Although some working line Mals are getter more and more simliar to the GSDs, particularly the rectangular rather than square outline, the ear size and the heavier heads.
Yes I've noticed this too, the actual outline is more rectangular for sure (and the ears and the head are bigger).

Wysiwyg I have found with my Belgians that they have tended to need more GA than standard, to overcome the adrenaline, but I don't know how typical that is and certainly sight hounds can be very sensitive to GAs, but I think Siberians can too.
That's interesting. I've always been terrified about GA with them ever since my bitch's litter sister died on the table when she was being spayed (and it was due to the GA) and the breeder said that "they give too much to BSDs as they treat them like GSDs". But I can quite see what you mean about the adrenaline

My current girl's been under a few times and my vet has been great with her, and she's come out very well. I think there has been huge improvement in GAs and their affect on the body, as now the body can get rid of it so much more quickly than the older ones which I understand put a strain on the liver etc.

(The first time I put my current bitch in for spay, I was so scared that I rang the surgery to stop it - only to be told that she'd already been done and was recovering nicely ).
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
Sorry could'nt resist - here's my girl Bijou in typical pose

[IMG][/IMG]
She is sweet! Haha, my current dog will do this. My previous ones would, but not that often!

Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Mine slept (occasionally ), and the earlier one was a lot hyper than the later one, but only so long as nothing alerted their interest or required them to monitor, review, investigate, guard, comment on, play with, supervise etc etc
I think it was the US breed standard thingie that said that they should always be in motion except when under command ... I soon found out what that meant

I might be imagining it, but I think it was part of the UK standard at one time (although I may be wrong about that, Bijou may know?).

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
It was a big issue back then... Pre-internet it was hard to find out much about Belgians as they had scant mention in dog books, but I contacted the breed club in the early 90's for more information and was sent a very interesting booklet, which I kept for years! The GA issue was such an issue that it contained a two-page warning about putting Belgians under anaesthetic.
I've got a feeling I had that booklet. I don't have it now though. Did they give any particular advice about putting Belgians under, MM?

Thankfully anaesthetics have changed since then, and now it is safe to anaesthetise a hamster, mouse, bird, reptile - as well as wildlife... all very fragile creatures with a lot less body fat than the majority of dogs.
Progress is good in some areas, certainly in this one
Merlin might only be 50% Belgian, but I can assure you he spends 75% of his life upside-down!!!
Adorable photos of Merlin there!

Wys
x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 07:37 AM
As an aside when I was at the AHT seminar on Friday, one of the presenters commented on when doing the DNA tests that in some breeds eg GR there are huge differences between the US and UK types.

And she was not talking phenotype!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3