Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chickadeedeedee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-09-2005, 10:16 PM

The ~~Who~~ Update

Hi all.

The culture came back today on Who the mourning dove.

It was indeed Mycoplasma that killed him. There was moderate to heavy growth of the organism on the culture. It is highly contageous to other doves and pigeons so we are on the look out for new Who's in distress.

We used a steam cleaner to try to disinfect the stone patio we have and moved the feeding area elsewhere. And I suppose keeping our fingers crossed wouldn't hurt either.

I phoned Cornell University, where they did the culture, and asked if I could get the infection since I gave him mouth to beak resussitation before Ooooooo Mmmmmiiiiiikke handed me a catheter to use as a breathing tube. The pathologist said this type of Mycoplasma was fairly species specific so I likely am not at risk.

Poor little Who.

C3D
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Poor little bird

I hope he is flying free somewhere....
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Hi C3D,

I've been very interested in your story of Who and your compassion, we know they say people who train and become vets are already leaning that way but there are many where its more than "just a Job!"

I hope that you are safe too. I'm not sure but on one board I think we or someone discussed whether it could be a problem amongst the birds that were in contact with Who or indeed Who she was in contact with.

Its to be hoped that the condition is fairly isolated or the healthy birds can become immune.

I have a feeling that there will be a lot of panic if the Bird Flu takes off and many innocent birds or those who feed them may be discouraged from doing so. There will be alot of false information put around and I suspect alot of garden birds will not be at risk but poultry could be.

But when Sars broke out they took the problem back to some kind of cat in China or somewhere.

I have a feeling some crossovers have always happened but because of the media alerting the public and the ease of travel by plane etc...its easier to spread globally.

But thanks for doing all that you could:smt049

Gildy
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Hi C3D, thanks for the information, sort of puts the lid on the diary of our Who. You are a star in your own right for trying as you did. Lets hope that Who is flying above the bridge
Chickadeedeedee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Hi Minihaha and Ashlady,

I am sure he has scone, cookies, little seeds and especially the seeds from forget-me-not flowers. Who was the star and the author.

C3D
Chickadeedeedee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Hi Gildy.

Thank you for your kind words. I NEVER wanted to be anything other than a veterinarian since before age 3 I am told. That has never changed.

I hope we don't get more doves or other birds that I will be able to catch by hand from this illness. But as always we are on the look out for critters in trouble.

Yes, the Bird Flu may cause more panic......and SARS....and West Nile Virus and the next disease of the month. The world is not as large as it used to be and countries are not as isolated as they used to be either.

Thanks for your concern about the little mourning dove named Who.

Lydia