Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2010, 07:00 PM

Proposed dog ownership laws

This was on a FB site - it's not actually part of any proposed act, just what a group is campaigning for.

Proposed code for responsible dog ownership:

1. All dog breeding should be limited. The prospective owner is proven to be a fit and responsible owner. Only then should licensed breeders be allowed to breed - to order.
2. All owners found to be breeding indiscriminately should have their dogs removed and be fined heavily.
3. Dog rescue centres should qualify for tax/rate rebates and should receive statutory funding.
4. Every single dog bred should be microchipped at the earliest opportunity. It should be an offence to own an unchipped dog.
5. All dogs should have basic insurance, covering public liability.
6. Compulsory training.
7. Compulsory wearing of muzzles in public places for any dogs that have bitten a human or dog.
8. No dog should be allowed on the street without a collar and lead, for obvious health and safety reasons.
9. Every single dog should be licensed and the owner found to be a fit person.
10. Heavy fines for offending against the above, which should be adopted as code by all local boroughs.
11. Police involvement should be automatic in cases of cruelty.
12. Heavy fines for owners who do not clean up after their dogs.

Personally I think it's too idealistic and too restrictive. The parts I would change would be compulsary chipping - not always ideal for every dog, although I do think that some kind of permanant ID is a good idea; muzzling - total grey area. You would need to look into why the dog bit and if there is a strong likelihood of it biting again with little provocation. ALL dogs are capable of biting after all; licenses - will th irresponsible 'chav' owners do this or will responsible owners pay the price for the misdemenours of others (as usual)? ; compulsary training - I assume this means classes. Again, not suitable for all dogs and TBH I wouldn't waste my time at any of the local classes, and not everyone has the option to do as I do and travel long distances for training.

As for the collar and lead thing - isn't that already a law ?(that isn't enforced)

What are your thoughts?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2010, 07:27 PM
1. All dog breeding should be limited. The prospective owner is proven to be a fit and responsible owner. Only then should licensed breeders be allowed to breed - to order.
Would be nice, but hard to do, if this were to happen though it would be great, and not just for dogs, for all animals
2. All owners found to be breeding indiscriminately should have their dogs removed and be fined heavily.
Again would be nice, but how would it be proven, wouldn't it run the risk of 'breeding machines' just be hidden more, and suffering more?
3. Dog rescue centres should qualify for tax/rate rebates and should receive statutory funding.
Would be lovely if they could, and would help them so much.
4. Every single dog bred should be microchipped at the earliest opportunity. It should be an offence to own an unchipped dog.
The only problem is that I have seen dogs that have had two chips because ones gone missing and heard, but I don't know if its true that chips can migrate and come out of the elbow for this to be made a rule it would also have to be a law that the owners need to get them checked regulary shouldn't it? And what happens if they move and they don't change addresses with the company?
5. All dogs should have basic insurance, covering public liability.
I'm not really sure, but this one has already fallen through hasn't it?
6. Compulsory training.
But when people first get a dog they can go to the wrong sort of trainer, as there is already dogs that have been messed up by this, and couldn't compulasory training in essense create more people in it for the money as people need their dogs trained, and not for the love of the job?
7. Compulsory wearing of muzzles in public places for any dogs that have bitten a human or dog.
Theres too many varibles as to why a dog would bite, working on the bite is more effective, as what happens if one of these dogs escape? They will then have no muzzle on, and probally wont have been worked on, bascially a danger.
8. No dog should be allowed on the street without a collar and lead, for obvious health and safety reasons.
Mine say no, they like to run
9. Every single dog should be licensed and the owner found to be a fit person.
But when is this assessed, as a practical would be, well impractable, as do you do it before they get a dog, with a strange dog, or when the dog has grown up, and any problems have already arisen, and then what would happen to the dogs of owners who aren't licensed?
10. Heavy fines for offending against the above, which should be adopted as code by all local boroughs.
11. Police involvement should be automatic in cases of cruelty.
Yep, I agree.
12. Heavy fines for owners who do not clean up after their dogs.
Isn't there already these? And its not policed.

Thats my opionion thinking about it .
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Ain`t it funny how all these proposals target the dog, not the owner?
How about a proposal that makes a few demands on the real problem - the humans who own dogs? Like prosecutions to uphold the laws we already have.
And ain`t it funny how so many people want to be able to decide who can own a dog or not?
How about a few less busybodies and a few more concerned citizens dobbing in the people who own the poor backyard dogs who have no shelter, love or company?