Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2010, 10:48 AM

Small dog good for children?

Hi everybody, i would like some advice, I have been thinking of getting a small breed for a while as my six year old son would love some involvement with the dogs but with them being so big he is very limited, i dont want anything bigger than a cocker really so any advice, this dog will be just treated the same as the others but my son would like a go of training him/her. Not fussy on breed really more the temperament.

Thanks
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2010, 11:27 AM
My little Yorkie is fabulous, so of course they get my vote. I can't fault her temperament at all and she is very responsive and easy to train. Oh, and she loves children.

As for other little dogs, I really like Border Terriers and Papillons. Papillons would be a great small dog for agility. Likewise with Shelties actually.

Miniature Poodles are also cool dogs; definitely an under-rated breed. Intelligent, don't moult (always a bonus).

Then of course Cavaliers are always a popular choice.
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks for your response was thinking about a yorkie, there a lovely little that lives by us and its such happy little chap really enjoys fetching his ball, which my little boy loves, hadnt thought about min poodles, have always loved the standard so think i will look into them (mp) as there is a agility class by us and i think my little boy would love to have a go of that. love shelties but would like a easy to manage coat as i already groom for an hour a day lol. Thankyou x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by HannahCB View Post
Thanks for your response was thinking about a yorkie, there a lovely little that lives by us and its such happy little chap really enjoys fetching his ball, which my little boy loves, hadnt thought about min poodles, have always loved the standard so think i will look into them (mp) as there is a agility class by us and i think my little boy would love to have a go of that. love shelties but would like a easy to manage coat as i already groom for an hour a day lol. Thankyou x
Oh, mine is a FIEND for her ball...well, any ball for that matter. She is a better (and faster!!) retriever than my actual Labrador Retriever. They are definitely big dogs in a little dogs body.
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2010, 12:31 PM
lol! none of my dogs are interested in fetching apart from the newf and thats only in water lol. im between a yorkie and a min poodle at the moment, have just been reading up on them and having a look around, Most litters i have seen are poodle x every breed under the son lol, going to have a look on champ dogs now for breeders, of yorkies and poodles i think x
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2010, 12:51 PM
How about a CKCS? My Mum and Dad had one when I was little and she was great! Someone near me breeds them and they all have 5* temperaments and are amazingly well trained and very responsive. Hers are all very healthy too.
DeVlaeminck
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-03-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm thinking along similar lines for my son - he'd like to take part in training our next dog. The only thing is he's 8, by the time we are getting another dog probably 9 or maybe 10, most of the breeds that seem suitable have quite a girly image.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-03-2010, 01:14 PM
I really like bigger dogs for small children. A 6 year old may not be the hazard for a small dog a younger one is, but there will still be accidents. Even the best trained and supervised child will accidentally hurt the dog at times. Bigger dogs see it as part of the fun. A smaller dog could be injured, defend itself, or decide it isn't safe near the child. I see this with our grandson. He is 2. They have a small terrier mix, a Lab, and a Shepherd. the big dogs love him and the terrier runs when it sees him coming.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I really like bigger dogs for small children. A 6 year old may not be the hazard for a small dog a younger one is, but there will still be accidents.
Agree with this. (ogod I`m agreeing with labman )
And not a puppy, or you`ll have all the teething etc.
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2010, 01:42 PM
hi, yep he is very good with the big dogs, but i feel he would be better suited to help training a smaller one to begin with as he put it he needs to start small and work his way up lol. the small dog we get of any breed will not be picked up or carried it will be treated the same as the others (as dogs lol) with the teething he is quite used to this from the newfie and the dane. Also he will be fully supervised and never left alone with the said dog x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >