Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 08:51 AM

Do dogs give permission

OK this is probably aimed at those that have dogs with jobs....I'll explain and interested to know what you think.

Skye our (almost) 3 year old, is the one to herd, she is very dedicated to herding the chickens back in from the garden to the run and also the rabbit etc., and will not usually (well never really) allow others dogs near them if she is doing her job....it's usually a case of ''MY JOB'' stay away
However this morning I got back from the school, opened the back door and shock...chickens running free range, 1 Rabbit and 1 Guineapig, as our Foster son fed them this morning he had forgot to close the gate, which is ok as they can not get out of the garden.

But here's the suprised, Skye went down, did a half circle to the left and lay down....from there BRUCE took complete control herded them all into a group, and very slowly and calmly steered them down the garden into the run....Skye stayed back but to the left and followed, but allowing Bruce to have full control.

Now Bruce has never been shown by me how to do this as to be honest he's always been more interested in what the chickens are digging for.

So question....has he learnt from Skye, has she allowed him to do this ie...somehow gave permission, was she over seeing older dog etc.,

A wonderful thing to watch by the way, only wish I had a camcorder.....but shocked that Skye took a side step as this is normally ''her baby''
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 09:03 AM
We used to train our sheepdogs to trial standard and we would always put a youngster with an experienced older dog to 'learn the ropes' - it's amazing how quickly they 'teach' the other dog. So I guess my answer is yes. I have certainly seen our older dogs just decide it was time for one of the others to take the lead.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Meganrose View Post
We used to train our sheepdogs to trial standard and we would always put a youngster with an experienced older dog to 'learn the ropes' - it's amazing how quickly they 'teach' the other dog. So I guess my answer is yes. I have certainly seen our older dogs just decide it was time for one of the others to take the lead.
Cheers Hun....GOD I am still in shock, obviously I don't work dogs, but Skye has always had the herding instinct from a young age, she is usually quite possessive over it too, and obviously we have always thought of it as ''her job'' but to witness BRUCE taking the reigns shocked me, I didn't even realise that he was taking notice...bruce is more into Flyball.

I wonder how she knew he was ready....so interesting, and when he'd done it, she really praised him too...mouthing him and rubbing her face into his

Skye the teacher Eh!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Steph,

That's amazing! Absolutely fantasic. Bet you're really proud of her too - I know I would be (can't really see Yiannis herding chickens though, can you??)

I believe dogs havew an inbuilt sense, instinct, perception (call it what you will) wherre they just "know" stuff. I wonder how long Skye has been teaching Bruce without you knowing.

I'll lend you my camcorder - would be great to see.

Laura xx
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2009, 09:22 AM
When we did our working on the farm,our older dogs always showed the younger one's how to do it.We had Jill who was Maid's mum, she showed Maid the ropes and then Maid showed her daughter Fly (who we have now) the ropes. I've recently started working Shadow and took Fly along and she has showed him the ropes lol! We actually have to keep Fly in the car most times because she's meant to be retired (she's nearly 14) but you wouldnt think it the way she goes at it!! It is an amazing thing to watch
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Wow bet that was brill to watch and you must've been really chuffed!

I love watching BC's at work, I think it's amazing how they know where they are supposed to be at all times and even the slightest of movements can make a difference to the herding.

In regards to the permission thing I reckon dogs probably do to a certain extent. I guess they have to so the older ones can teach the young ones.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Steph,

That's amazing! Absolutely fantasic. Bet you're really proud of her too - I know I would be (can't really see Yiannis herding chickens though, can you??)

I believe dogs havew an inbuilt sense, instinct, perception (call it what you will) wherre they just "know" stuff. I wonder how long Skye has been teaching Bruce without you knowing.

I'll lend you my camcorder - would be great to see.

Laura xx
Yes please!!! I was all choked up, my baby boy all grown up there and doing it at a all steady pace. Normally he threads on them to get passed Amazing
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
When we did our working on the farm,our older dogs always showed the younger one's how to do it.We had Jill who was Maid's mum, she showed Maid the ropes and then Maid showed her daughter Fly (who we have now) the ropes. I've recently started working Shadow and took Fly along and she has showed him the ropes lol! We actually have to keep Fly in the car most times because she's meant to be retired (she's nearly 14) but you wouldnt think it the way she goes at it!! It is an amazing thing to watch
I know what you mean.....Our old girl Meg(rest her soul) at 18 was still keen to fetch the ball back infact she still was at 20..albeit a little slower
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Wow bet that was brill to watch and you must've been really chuffed!

I love watching BC's at work, I think it's amazing how they know where they are supposed to be at all times and even the slightest of movements can make a difference to the herding.

In regards to the permission thing I reckon dogs probably do to a certain extent. I guess they have to so the older ones can teach the young ones.
I was in awe of Skye the way she stayed to one side....but ready (as she is) to help if needed but she watched his every move....and then the praise thing afterwards too...fabulous to watch....CAM CORDER PLEASE LAURA
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 09:47 AM
That's really interesting Steph, and it must have made you so proud of both of them. If these two turn out just a smidgen like Bruce and Skye then I will be made up.

I do wonder sometimes about Ben, he seems a lot older than he is somedays. He just likes to do his "own thing" unless he instigates any play that is. Poppy does take her cues from him though, noises or anyone waking past. Poppy is on red alert at all times. When there is a noise she's up and her eyes are darting left right but she won't make a move until Ben decides if it's worth the hassle

Poppy is obviously a herder and sometimes I do feel her frustration when were out, she is looking for things to herd. So she just herds the rest of the dogs, funny to watch her. When she is older I will get her into something, but not sure what yet, maybe flyball or even agility, will have a word with the trainer and see what he says.

I wonder if sex makes a differerence, what with Skye being the eldest and the female? worth a thought eh

Elaine xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
That's really interesting Steph, and it must have made you so proud of both of them. If these two turn out just a smidgen like Bruce and Skye then I will be made up.

I do wonder sometimes about Ben, he seems a lot older than he is somedays. He just likes to do his "own thing" unless he instigates any play that is. Poppy does take her cues from him though, noises or anyone waking past. Poppy is on red alert at all times. When there is a noise she's up and her eyes are darting left right but she won't make a move until Ben decides if it's worth the hassle

Poppy is obviously a herder and sometimes I do feel her frustration when were out, she is looking for things to herd. So she just herds the rest of the dogs, funny to watch her. When she is older I will get her into something, but not sure what yet, maybe flyball or even agility, will have a word with the trainer and see what he says.

I wonder if sex makes a differerence, what with Skye being the eldest and the female? worth a thought eh

Elaine xx
Thats an intersting thought too, Reah is Definately the Nanny of all, a groan from her, puts the other two in a down, stay position. But Skye mothered Bruce relentlessly when he was small, even carried him by his scruff, now she is like BIG sister, and he is the protector of the trio, even taught Skye to stand up for herself, now she seems to be teaching him to herd....how things swing in round-a-bouts and change in the group, interaction
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Atta girl, Skye
I can imagine how that must have brought a lump to your throat mom!
As an aside, your digital camera doesn't have video?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >