Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2005, 04:15 PM

Is it Normal

For a dog only to allow it's owner to walk her
When i looked after my sister house and her Labrador retriever Bonnie she refused to let me walk her (She's like it with everyone else too including my sisters husband and kids)
When we got a certain distance from the house she would panic and struggle to get home
I was just wandering if this is normal
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 04:19 PM
My nans dog does it, she was told its because the dog doesnt feel safe with un-familiar people. Hazel my BC will go if she is dragged but only family can take her and her be happy.
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2005, 04:21 PM
but Bonnie is like it with members of her household too which i always thought was a bit odd
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Stewart B
For a dog only to allow it's owner to walk her
When i looked after my sister house and her Labrador retriever Bonnie she refused to let me walk her (She's like it with everyone else too including my sisters husband and kids)
When we got a certain distance from the house she would panic and struggle to get home
I was just wandering if this is normal
Stewart something in that if itīs a she proberly doesnīt feel safe with you
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 04:24 PM
My Cassie is the same Stewart, she won't go with anybody else. She panicked when I left her at a friend's house too once and she just sat by the front door waiting for me to get back, shaking like a leaf. She won't even go off somewhere with my o/h if I am with him and want to stop off somewhere or something, but she did bring herself to let him take her out when I was ill in bed one day. So I would say, yes, some dogs are like that, but don't know why?
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 04:25 PM
lol Fred, she could just be very well bonded with the one owner, shes all mummy mummy basically. She sees it as abnormal to be walked by anyone else, did the other members of the family try and walk her as a puppy if they had her from a pup?
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Yeah i think they did walk her as a pup

Oh and Fred :smt019:smt019:smt019:smt019:smt019
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2005, 04:34 PM
I think Bonnie is a mummy's girl
Though she didn't seem too bothered when the family went on holiday for a week
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 09:45 PM
My Potter wont go anywhere with anyone else. I walk with a family and thier dogs at least 5 times a week and have done for 2 years, they come around for meals, coffee etc, so my lot know them very well. They kindly offered to walk my lot when I was ill recently. Potter went happily with them, but 5 minutes later was knocking on my front door!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Hi Stewart

I think sometimes this happens when just one member of the family cares for the dog-they grow attached to that person.My sisters Border Collie cross is reluctant to be walked by anyone else and given the chance,will trot back home.This is why now everyone is taking equal share in walking/feeding etc their new Boxer puppy.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >