View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 12:32 PM

When will people learn that they are being conned?

was at a party last night and a girl i know was telling me about a dog shes getting on monday.

so i asked her what she was getting " a beagle" she replied, i thought fair enough.. then she went on to say "not just any beagle but a miniature pocket sized beagle!"

really when will people learn? this dog is not going to be a pocket sized beagle, and if it is its going to have some serious issues. its not going to make it any easier to train than a normal beagle or hound, can garantee it wont of had health checks, and can most definately presume they have payed through the roof for it because its "rare"

some people drive me mad
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 12:45 PM
You and me both... The "tea cup" brigade drive me bonkers! I got a tad annoyed with a snotty cow, and finally told her after I was quite redily corrected that her poodle was NOT a TOY it was a TEA CUP!!! I said, well, there's no such thing as a teacup poodle, according to the CKC, and AKC, so her dog must not be registered, a TOY poodle is anything under 10" your dog qualifys for that catagory.

She was being right nasty to me about my ugly, unhealthy white Dachshunds, who are going to bite someone someday 'cuz they're deaf.... I felt the need to get a tad nasty back... I told her that anyone who calls their toy poodles teacup know nothing about the breed, dont care about bettering the breed, and are irresponsible and should never be allowed to add to the dog over population of this world... At least I'm trying to correct the mistakes by people like you!

I dont think she'll be talking to me again... tee hee
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 12:54 PM
in fact just found the ad of where she has bough this pup from.

£650!!!! and this is what the ad says:

Absolutely adorable minature Pocket Beagle Puppies, 8 weeks old, Kennel Registered with papers and 4 weeks free insurance. 2 boys, 1 girl Tri colour, vet checked every 2 weeks since birth, de flead and wormed upto date with Frontline and Drontal Plus. Home bred, reared in family environment around other pets and 2 young children. Full of character and full paper trained also eating solids. Show standard, a truly magnificent example of a rare breed, ready now to loving homes.

first of all i dont understand how it can be a show standard as if they are smaller than standard they arent show standard.

surely something like this could be reported to the KC as it states they are KC registered, which surely would mean if the KC saw this advert for someone advertising "rare" beagles they could do something?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
in fact just found the ad of where she has bough this pup from.

£650!!!! and this is what the ad says:

Absolutely adorable minature Pocket Beagle Puppies, 8 weeks old, Kennel Registered with papers and 4 weeks free insurance. 2 boys, 1 girl Tri colour, vet checked every 2 weeks since birth, de flead and wormed upto date with Frontline and Drontal Plus. Home bred, reared in family environment around other pets and 2 young children. Full of character and full paper trained also eating solids. Show standard, a truly magnificent example of a rare breed, ready now to loving homes.

first of all i dont understand how it can be a show standard as if they are smaller than standard they arent show standard.

surely something like this could be reported to the KC as it states they are KC registered, which surely would mean if the KC saw this advert for someone advertising "rare" beagles they could do something?
Ahh, but it doesn't say 'Kennel Club'!
It says 'Kennel Registered'!
It's probably the DLRC, or some other 'scam' type of registration!

You should e-mail them, and ask what they were bred with to make them small!
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 01:08 PM
I thought pocket sized beagles were an actual offshoot of the breed? Like, they're not the same as 'tea cup sized' but were bread slightly smaller than standard quite a while ago so that they could be carried on horseback when people went out hunting and could flush things out of their dens when hunting? Don't quote me on that though

I really don't understand the trend of wanting to make small breeds even smaller, though. If someone wants a small dog, why not just go for one of the toy breeds? Are they not small enough?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
I thought pocket sized beagles were an actual offshoot of the breed? Like, they're not the same as 'tea cup sized' but were bread slightly smaller than standard quite a while ago so that they could be carried on horseback when people went out hunting and could flush things out of their dens when hunting? Don't quote me on that though I really don't understand the trend of wanting to make small breeds even smaller, though. If someone wants a small dog, why not just go for one of the toy breeds? Are they not small enough?
dont know. but to be honest cant see a beagle being needed to be carried they are hounds and run along side horses when on hunts, cant see the point of being smaller. and also i thought the hounds were used to follow a scent, rather than flush out game?
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Just had a quick google. Seems there used to be such a thing as the pocket beagle, favoured by the Monarchy! but they were declared extinct in 1901

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beagle

http://www.smartpetshop.co.uk/pet-su...ld-be-avoided/

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/p/pocketbeagle.htm
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Just had a quick google. Seems there used to be such a thing as the pocket beagle, favoured by the Monarchy! but they were declared extinct in 1901

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beagle

http://www.smartpetshop.co.uk/pet-su...ld-be-avoided/

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/p/pocketbeagle.htm
surely if they were extinct by 1901 then the ones being sold now are clearly an advertising ploy?
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
surely if they were extinct by 1901 then the ones being sold now are clearly an advertising ploy?

Exactly, one site says

The pocket beagle breed was declared extinct in 1901 by both American and British breeding clubs and since then it has been accepted that you really cannot get a true pocket beagle anymore. With all of this there are still breeders selling pocket beagles and it is feared that the only way to get a pocket beagle is to sell an unhealthy dog that has had its growth stunted because of physical problems.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Hevvur, bet you're right they will be DLRC.

I find it frustrating people get hooked on these faddy ideas like teacup poodle/chi/yorkie etc. How the hell can you get a pocket-sized Beagle?? Just how small are they meant to be? To me pocket-sized means about the size of a hamster?

As you say no doubt there will be health issues if they have tried to minituarize a breed this way? Why can't people just select an existing breed that matches their requirements, instead of lining the pockets of 'breeders' like these trying to cash in? Grrrr
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >