Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pookyandjo
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2010, 07:26 AM

Changing from 4 meals a day to 3

Hi all...

My female Maltalier is 13 weeks old and at present I am feeding her 4 meals a day...(0800, 1200, 1600 and 2000 hrs)

She went to the vet yesterday for her second immunisation and they said that she i should be bringing her back down to 3 feeds a day...

obviously i still feed her the same amount (which is based on her weight) but im not sure about what times to feed her...

she wakes in the morning about 0745 ... i let her outsdie for a run around and she performs her " ablutions" whilst i get her breakfast ready.... so obviously that's a no brainer..

should i hold out her next meal until say 1400... then the last one at 2000?? or should i give the second one at around 1300 and then the last at around 1800 or 1900 and then that will be it for the night...

she is outside during the day but comes in at night and always has a few treats during the day both inside and outside as i practice her obedience with her a few times a day for about 5 or 10 mins at a time

thanks in advance
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Once i move to Three (just have with my pup) meals i feed the last one when i feed my other dogs, this can be as early as 5.30pm or as late as 9pm, dogs, imo, thrive better on a little bit of unpredicatbility!

Atm, i for 3 meals i do 6am. then lunch meal anytime from 11am -2pm (my ideal would be at around 12), then evening from 5pm-9pm (my ideal would be around 6.30pm).

Obvisley if i knew i wouldnt be feeding till late, i would try to feed the 2nd meal later if i could.
But my dogsfit around me , not the other way around!

If you are feeding at 8am, id idealy feed at 1pm & 7pm.

I dont like pups going to bed full, i like to give them time to do theit Biz etc. Mine all have a bedtime chew/ Biccie