View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 07:31 PM

Its me or the dog ?? who watched - do you agree ?

Just sat and cried at this program after the way in which they dealt with Benji the cocker spaniel

Up until now I have always been very favourable on VS methods but I thought it was appallingly lax in the way that this dog behaviour had been dealt with.

Basically the dog had nipped before due to food aggression and by the end of the program the dog was put to sleep as it severely bit the little girl in the family. However no attempt appeared to have been made to check for any illness/pain etc in the dog before it got put to sleep and I thought it was irresponsible to show this in this matter.

anyone any views on this ??
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 07:38 PM
I bawled my eyes out too - that poor little dog, and the poor owner - he was devastated.

I agree that it would not be wise to rehome the dog, but would have at least hoped VS would have advised the family to get Benji checked over for illness - as she did mention he may have a neurological problem.

I usually agree with most of VS methods too and love the programme, but just felt this time she didn't exhaust all possibilities before Benji was pts. On the other hand, the little girl had been fairly badly bitten, so it was a tough call.

Very sad.
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 07:42 PM
i cried too + didnt victoria say on the phone the dog might have some nero (sorry dont know how to spell it) problem but they never had him checked out before i would have thought or at least hoped that most people would have a vet check there dog over if some thing happened just in case
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-10-2006, 07:42 PM
I watched it too Dani and i agreed totally that destoying the dog was justified.I love Vegas to bits,but if he ever mauled anyone-i too would have him put down.No animals life is worth more than a human.

The Spaniel attacked the little girl without any provocation this occasion and is totally unacceptable behaviour.They reconed it may have had a nerological disorder which made it attack so basically-theres no hope.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 07:44 PM
We cried too ... have never watched it before - is it always so sad?
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Missed some of the programme,but it seemed to me that this Dog only had problems with Children if this was the case could he not have been re homed to a experienced Adult only Home

I really got the impression that the owners did not have much of a clue,but someone that knew what they were doing could have dealt with him better!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I watched it too Dani and i agreed totally that destoying the dog was justified.I love Vegas to bits,but if he ever mauled anyone-i too would have him put down.No animals life is worth more than a human.

The Spaniel attacked the little girl without any provocation this occasion and is totally unacceptable behaviour.They reconed it may have had a nerological disorder which made it attack so basically-theres no hope.
but thats just it Steve - whether or not they actually had it checked out by the vet or not - they didnt make it clear that the dog could have had something seriously wrong etc - and to be honest I dont necessarily agree with putting a dog to sleep for biting as it depends on the circumstances and that would have to be taken into consideration - they didnt show that they got the dog checked over thoroughly etc.

If bruno bit my child then of course i would be devastated BUT i would be ensuring that nothing happened to make him bite as I genuinely beleive that their is usually a trigger,

the woman had originally wanted the dog put to sleep for the first nip.

I just didnt like the way they didnt exhaust any other possibilities and it makes it out that for the "non doggy" folk watchng it that there is only one option which isnt true.

Imo
metz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2006, 07:53 PM
i had a lump in my throat too, i can see where the family is coming from as it was a child it bit i think i would be the same if it was my child. i know what you mean it should have been checked by a vet first and maybe rehomed.
bucilla
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-10-2006, 07:53 PM
i must admit i cryed but do think that they made the right decishion, it must have been very hard to make but they did say thet it was allso what the vet recomended so they had asked for another opinion. i love my boy more that i can say but some things just cannot be allowed and the little girls in that houes hold needed to be safe and realisicly they could not garente that
very sad
colette
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Was in floods of tears whilst watching..was far too close to home, when Polly was PTS, in the end, it was primarily health reasons but her agression and biting was a factor too. I agree that once a dog has bitten, they will do it again-and can never, fully, be once again trusted.
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »