Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 07:55 AM

Kittens Desexed Around 12 Weeks Old

I was looking at a Ragdoll website and came across the above. It is an Australian website. We have had the convo ref dogs , I did not know cats were put through this at a young age in other countries too.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I was looking at a Ragdoll website and came across the above. It is an Australian website. We have had the convo ref dogs , I did not know cats were put through this at a young age in other countries too.
My vets will neuter cats when they hit 2 kgs in weight. Toms do need to have all their genitalia in full working order before being castrated. My Reg was done at 14 weeks becasue he was already 2 kgs & defo physically mature ! Jaq wasn't spayed until nearly two months later as she is a lot lighter farmed that her brother.

Cats mature sexually far quicker than dog & of course unlike dog the queens come into season every three weeks or so & they can start calling at 16 weeks of age !! Unspayed non breeding queens can have serious health problems I have been told by my vets & unless cats are indoor cats there is no way of preventing an entire queen from not getting mated when they are outdoors
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 11:11 AM
My males were done at 6 mths , or just before. I signed a contract with the breeder to say I would have this done at around that age. I was under the impression that this was the recommended age for females too.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
My males were done at 6 mths , or just before. I signed a contract with the breeder to say I would have this done at around that age. I was under the impression that this was the recommended age for females too.
My Reg was already trying to mate his sister even though she wasn't calling queens should be spayed before they start calling if they go out. My two were from farm cats & were & are no way suitable as indoor cats, most pedigree cats I have met have been happy to be indoor cats, presumably because they are bred to be more "manageable"-not a critism as I recommend pedigree cats to people who have youngish children-lol I just love cats !
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I am a cat lover too and my breed is known as being soft natured and they are indoor cats xxxx