View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-01-2010, 06:39 PM
have you tried breaking your one ticket down into many tickets?

ie, you are traveling form preston to hampstead.

your journey has stops:

eg,
pres - man piccadilly

man Piccadilly - lon euston

lon euston - s.hampstead

that's 3 separate tickets you can buy for the same journey/train

it may save you some money

if i knew your times and route stops i could work it out for you
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Hey,

Oh says that the website price is a load of sh**. He works at the Virgin trains ticket office in preston and says an off peak return from preston to london is £70.20. (preston to East Hampstead about £80)

I'd get down there tomorrow to get them, he is working the morning shift!

Alex
xx
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
Hey,

Oh says that the website price is a load of sh**. He works at the Virgin trains ticket office in preston and says an off peak return from preston to london is £70.20. (preston to East Hampstead about £80)

I'd get down there tomorrow to get them, he is working the morning shift!

Alex
xx
i found the same when i priced it on transport direct

the price only shot up into the hundreds when i typed in the journey as starting during peak time, so im guessing the OP isnt traveling off peak (bearing in mind they have a hospital appointment)
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i found the same when i priced it on transport direct

the price only shot up into the hundreds when i typed in the journey as starting during peak time, so im guessing the OP isnt traveling off peak (bearing in mind they have a hospital appointment)
to be fair, it may be worth travelling off peak and grabbing a drink to wait to save that money! even then, if the appointment is early morning, they could find a cheap b and b to stay over in ( i think premier lodge or similar to cheap rooms....)... it would still class as an off peak return if travelling on two seperate days....
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-01-2010, 07:28 PM
good point

although what you save on the off peak return you may end up spending on a B & B and meals anyway?

it might be the case that the saving you make on the off peak journey would be round about the same you would make if you turn the one ticket into split tickets, keeping the journey to one day without the extra expenses?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
good point

although what you save on the off peak return you may end up spending on a B & B and meals anyway?

it might be the case that the saving you make on the off peak journey would be round about the same you would make if you turn the one ticket into split tickets, keeping the journey to one day without the extra expenses?
ahhh the joys of working out public transport!

seriously, if OP goes to ticket office tomorrow they can go through all the options for her!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
But it's the government who keep harping on about carbon emissions and using public transport cos it's greener etc!

Does your OH fancy a trip on Wednesday??
He is free on Wednesday, but you either have to be with him two years, or get free travel instantly by marrying him..... a bit extreme really lol
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 08:20 PM
You can go from Preston to London Victoria for £8 on National Express (Unfortuantly, it would take you 6 hours) Then you could get a tube from London Victoria to Hampstead for £4. And actually, I used National Express coaches every week, they are very reliable and you're guaranteed a seat.

Edit: Just looked at National Rail, it says you can get a single from Preston to Hampstead for as cheap as £26
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 10:30 PM
As Iso said, the times aren't for sure, so it's hard to organise much!
My appointment is at 1pm, so we're having to set off around 7am (driving) to get there.
We don't know how long the appointment will be, so can't even pick times for trains to come home on!
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 11:32 PM
You can get an 'Any Time' train ticket. I went from Oxford to London last week and an any time ticket didn't cost anymore than a normal ticket (as long as you're returning on the same day) So it's worth checking out
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >