Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-08-2012, 08:55 PM
the dogs yes
the horse not so much, had a falling out with her today as to which side of the road we should walk on
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2012, 09:10 PM
on a flat collar i can just about hold opie but it's far easier if he's got a headcollar on. a headcollar gives me more confidence on the very rare occasion i bump into someone on a narrow lane.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 09:23 PM
with head collars or harnesses yes i can hold all three together, on normal collars just about but its alot harder.
i wear a walking belt with the dogs attached now and its so much easier and they cant drag me
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Yes, I can hold all three, sometimes even four if my brothers yorkie comes a walk with us.

I don't think I could own a dog that was stronger then myself....
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2012, 05:52 AM
I walk my dogs on there own as together they are very strong,although as mentioned earlier in the thread I can walk and control them if they are wearing head collars.my two were attacked by two on lead great Danes as the lady couldn't hold them back which was frightening as every time I got my two out the way they pulled her back to us. Id like to say she was apologetic but she wasn't and next time I saw her she had a collie with her as well as the danes Needless to say we legged it
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
I do agree with JulieSS, dogs are common place around here, even by busy roads, whereas horses are not. I haven't seen anyone taking their cow, sheep, goat etc for a walk... yet

I can hold him back, just. But at nearly 30kg of muscle he has dragged me around a few times, usually when trying to get to my OH or after a dog going crazy at him or god forbid a cat or rabbit. A few steps being dragged or sliding on mud and I stop him with commands rather than the lead.
I also could not win against him with tug of war no matter how well I brace myself, he can pull me over, drag me across the room or if I manage to stand still my arms give way! My brother used to hang him on a rope for amusement until one day my dog let go and my brother smacked himself in the face with the toy. I believe it serves him right but is also amusing

Now my poor lad is getting older it is so much easier to hold him back, and I've even started winning tug of war again!

This is the exact reason that OH and I have decided against getting a rottie, until we are much more experienced and have plenty of time to devote to constant training while out and about.
Visit some County shows, and you will see plenty of cows , sheep and so on, being walked on the end of a rope
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2012, 12:12 PM
My three, yup. If I couldnt hold all three safely whilst lunging, I simply would not walk them together
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Visit some County shows, and you will see plenty of cows , sheep and so on, being walked on the end of a rope
I would expect there to be
I think if you live in a more rural area, or only walk your animals in quieter areas, large field/parks it gives you a few extra steps before regaining control. But for me here I would be very worried about anyone walking a cow, dog or any other animal that could pull them over near such busy roads.
I think everyone would feel more confident knowing that no matter what they could hold back the animal they were in charge of and cared for. I know for myself it would be a main point of keeping such an animal.
I'm not saying people shouldn't own them, but they should have the tools, strength, ability and common sense to own and control them while with them in suitable areas.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Visit our old vets and you would too! I'll never forget walking in to find a sheep in the waiting room. Rupert thought all his Christmases had come at once!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2012, 12:41 PM
I think I spoke too soon on this thread.

Just got back from walking Bo and Tilly. Both on leads when Bo spotted a squirrell before I did. She dragged me along at full lunge and I only stopped because I hit a tree (we were on grass and it was wet, no grip). Good job I did because we would have ended up on a main road. Now my arm hurts, the dog is in disgrace and we are back to the drawing board *sigh*.
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >