Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
As an aside NEVER wrap a lead around your wrist, quickest way to break it and/or get pulled over.

True! OH has a harness intended for joggers with huskies that goes round his waist. The 2 boys are clipped onto it, via bungee-type leads. There is a fixed handle type bit on the bungee leads for better control, but the best thing about this harness is that it is hands-free. So far, the 2 boys have not been able to drag OH (weighing in at 85 kilos), even when attempting to chase a muntjac that got up right underneath their noses the other day, and a whole family of pheasants - mother, father and about 8 adolescents!!
alys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Half a ton of horse on the end of a piece of rope in the car park at the NEC at Horse of the year show, stood on its back legs, amazing what the fear of the M6 can do! Makes dogs seem tame.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 05:29 PM
As an aside NEVER wrap a lead around your wrist, quickest way to break it and/or get pulled over.
I agree that it is a bad idea, especially with a dog stronger than you, but she knew she'd let go of the leash so to ensure at her own risk that Brownie couldn't get away, she did that. I told her to not walk him anymore, I don't want anybody getting hurt but she wanted him for protection.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Yes, I only have two small dogs at a combined weight of 20kgs.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 07:11 PM
If Spen catches me by surprise and lunges he can drag me a couple of steps before I regain control but other than that, yes I can physically hold him back on leash. Working on training so that I don't need to rely on physical control.

Playing tug on the other hand, not a cat in hells chance, he can drag me wherever he wants and I'm powerless to stop it without letting go of the tug toy or asking him to let go. So I suppose if he grabbed the leash and then took off I'd have no control
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Sarah, have you tried the following when you play tug (it is easier to see than to describe)

small tug
hand at each end
immobilise using your thighs as a back up

Does that make sense?
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Well the difference with a horse and a dog is that you meet lots more dogs ut on the street than horses and cows. Plus a scared horse is something else than for example a DA dog trying to attack another dog and then succeeds because the owner can't hold it back.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Sarah, have you tried the following when you play tug (it is easier to see than to describe)

small tug
hand at each end
immobilise using your thighs as a back up

Does that make sense?
Perfect sense, it's how I manage not to literally go flying around like a rag doll when playing tug with him

I say he drags me where he wants but thinking about it it's more like we go back and forward the same steps, he'll drag me a couple of steps then I'll drag him back, he'll fling himself around and drag me in a different direction, I'll drag him back again and so on. He seems to prefer playing with me to my hubby who he can't budge at all.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2012, 07:47 PM
I do agree with JulieSS, dogs are common place around here, even by busy roads, whereas horses are not. I haven't seen anyone taking their cow, sheep, goat etc for a walk... yet

I can hold him back, just. But at nearly 30kg of muscle he has dragged me around a few times, usually when trying to get to my OH or after a dog going crazy at him or god forbid a cat or rabbit. A few steps being dragged or sliding on mud and I stop him with commands rather than the lead.
I also could not win against him with tug of war no matter how well I brace myself, he can pull me over, drag me across the room or if I manage to stand still my arms give way! My brother used to hang him on a rope for amusement until one day my dog let go and my brother smacked himself in the face with the toy. I believe it serves him right but is also amusing

Now my poor lad is getting older it is so much easier to hold him back, and I've even started winning tug of war again!

This is the exact reason that OH and I have decided against getting a rottie, until we are much more experienced and have plenty of time to devote to constant training while out and about.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Am I able to physically hold back my dog?

Yes.
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »