View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-08-2012, 11:40 AM

Are you be able to physically hold back your dog(s)

If your dog(s) no matter how well trained they may well be when on leads wanted to pull you after something could you physically hold them back..

If the answer is no do you think its right to own that breed??

This came up in discussion we had about an old lady and her large Gsd
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 11:49 AM
If we're talking just on a flat collar or harness - one dog, yes. Two dogs - perhaps, but I am not confident which is why I use headcollars. I can hold the pair of them with one hand when they have their headcollars on and I think it is very important to ensure you can control your dog even if it is normally very well behaved. Accidents happen and live animals have an unpredictable nature but I know that at least I've done everything I can to maintain control. I probably am a bit of a paranoid owner though
The bonus with headcollars is that I can control their heads in tight spots too, on the rare occasion I've been cornered in a narrow path, I can hold the lead right up at the headcollar end and rush past/hold the dogs so the other dog owner can pass quickly.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Yes I can, and thamkfully I van also pick Mia up and get her out of a situation if really needed
you need to be able to hold back a reactive dog because no matter how well you try and control situations surprises leap out of dark shadows
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2012, 11:52 AM
The answer is no, because even at 18kg Pereg is too strong for me to physically control if she did not let me do so. But then when I take her out she is on a light chain fixed onto my big scooter. Not on a leash. Or on a long lead also fixed onto the scooter.

Does that mean I should not own her?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
If your dog(s) no matter how well trained they may well be when on leads wanted to pull you after something could you physically hold them back..

If the answer is no do you think its right to own that breed??

This came up in discussion we had about an old lady and her large Gsd
No - simply because together they weigh 90 kilos, and I only weigh 73.

However, if you have your dogs' trust, respect and they have a good level of obedient, you SHOULD be able to control them without exerting strength. Taking horses as an analogy, obviously even the smallest Shetland pony weighs more than a human being, and yet ponies and horses of all sizes are controlled by their riders through sheer skill. So it should be with our dogs.

That's the theory ... in practice I do not consider myself a good enough dog handler to be able to control my two hooligans such that I could reliably walk them past wildlife off lead. They are both rescues ... maybe if i had had them both from puppyhood, especially Tai who really wants to please ... it would be possible.

But no ... if i am daydreaming and a cat suddenly shoots across in front of us, I will find myself flying through the air like Superman!
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 12:06 PM
I can only "handle" one of my large dogs at a time (35 - 40KG each). I use a harness with them as i only walk them over the fields... with a extending lead. It`s more difficult controlling the bigger dog.. he`s pulled me over a few times trying to get at another dog... but i have his lead attached to a walking belt... so he can`t leg it without me.. lol

My husband was able to walk the dogs with me when we first got them 5-6 years ago.. but is now disabled so i have no choice but to walk them on my own.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-08-2012, 12:10 PM
I can hold both Skye and Breagh even if they're determined but I'm a fully grown bloke at the end of the day.

Somebody I know in our village has had at least 3 litters of large American Bulldogs in recent years. I've seen a few of the ones that remained local dragging their 'younger' or 'older' owners behind them.

I've often thought that if I was them - would I have a dog that large or that strong ? Difficult one especially if it's a large breed you've had many times before but have just got a bit older and less phsically able.

Just to throw a spanner in the works I know of at least 2 that now don't use leads because the dog is too strong for them.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 12:12 PM
yes - and I am an old lady. I think it`s more a question of technique and attitude then physical strength. You learn this when working with horses.......
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 12:13 PM
At 4.5kgs my tibbie's too light to pull me over, but I have tripped over her a couple of times.

As I only weigh 40kgs and had a Pei who could grow up to weigh as much as 23kgs, which she didn't ... she weighed 17kg ... I trained her very carefully from being a puppy not to pull on her lead.

Before I even took her out on the road I spent hours walking her round the garden on her lead teaching her to "wait" on command and only walk when she was told to do so. In the three years I owned her she never came anywhere near pulling me over.

It was really worth the time and effort and I shall do the same with my new Peiby when she comes home at the end of next month.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Both my boys weigh in at approx 35kg each, and I can hold both of them back (I weigh approx 75kg)

I wouldn't feel safe walking them on my own if I couldn't confidently control them, no matter what their behaviour....
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »