View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 02:29 PM
I totallly agree with you. At the end of the day it's you that's gonna live that life and it's your choice.
As for the kids thing, just be sure that you could live without them. I'm not sure how old you are but it does get harder to accept when you get older.
I really wish you all the best and just make that decision for yourself and no-one else. xxxxx
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Lorna, as you know, we are all different and have different feelings, thanks for sharing yours with me. It's good to know how other people feel on the subject.

The guy is question already knows how I feel and completely understands. He is very open and has and will continue to answer any questions I have to the best of his ability. He obviously like me a lot to be doing this.

I'm well aware he could live a normal life for many years or that his current kidney could fail, leading to him needing dialysis etc.

I may or may not want kids in the future (yes, I know that's a long way off but it still has to be thought about) and nobody knows if his condition is/was hereditory as it's not common. Personally, if it was hereditory, I wouldn't even consider having children with him as I don't think it would be right or fair on any of us to bring a sick child in to the word. You wouldn't breed from unhealthy animals, therefore, I don't think you should do so with human beings either if you KNOW the condition could be passed on. Sorry, that's just how I feel and I won't apologise for it.

Now, if I was with him already and something happened, that's a different matter altogether. Of course I would stay with him through the tough times, but I have a choice just now and it's my choice to make.

This is MY life and MY future as well and as I've been through enough crap in my past, I intend to try and make my future a happier one if I possibly can. I'll always be there for him as a friend, regardless.
I agree with you with regards to if his condition is hereditary not having children. It is why Rachy and I went for genetic counselling as mine is hereditary. We cannot have the embryos washed at the moment, so we won't be having children. Which is fine as we have her two children but I was obviously a bit sad that I won't biologically have a child, but I don't want to bring a child into the world knowing it could suffer from pkd. The other thing to consider is that perhaps if he cannot biologically have children, you have the option of sperm donation or adoption.

I understand that you are thinking it through, which everyone does in a relationship, but I believe that as a transplant patient it won't really be an issue apart from where having kids is concerned. Transplant patients lead pretty regular lives if he goes into renal failure, then he will be poorly but obviously he managed on dialysis previously else he wouldn't have the transplant. I have lived as the carer of someone on dialysis, but there is nothing in this world that would stop me being with Rachy, if you feel the same about this gentleman then I would advise to give it a go.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4