Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 04:19 PM

How do you solve this

Kai is a 60kg leonberger and he is scared of................................................ .................................................. ......Flies

In the Summer he got a Insect caught up in his coat and ever since he is really scared of ANY flying Insect

if he hears one he starts to cry and then spins around nipping at his back end(same place as the insect was caught in his coat)he is convinced its stuck in his coat again

But today a Bluebottle fly came in the House and he was scared to Death what can I do to help him???????.

I'm dreading Summer as he really is worried

I'm 99% sure its the Buzzing that Scares him

I do(in the summer) make buzzing noises and he reacts to that in thse same way he does if he hears a Bee fly etc.
He does settle and when he ignores the noise I do give him a big fuss/treat.

But todays reaction was as bad as it was in the Summer
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 04:26 PM
as soon as he hears a buzz give him a treat? just an idea to change his association?you would have to distract him first so he does not think he is being rewarded for his anxiety?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Aww bless him

My huge hairy GSD had a similar experience - she got a wasp caught in her hair and I think it stung her and she really freaked out. For a while afterwards if she heard anything buzzing she would spin around looking for it. I kind of laughed at her and told her not to be silly and she seemed to eventually relax about it and she is ok again now.

I hope you manage to sort the problem - poor lad
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Aww bless him

My huge hairy GSD had a similar experience - she got a wasp caught in her hair and I think it stung her and she really freaked out. For a while afterwards if she heard anything buzzing she would spin around looking for it. I kind of laughed at her and told her not to be silly and she seemed to eventually relax about it and she is ok again now.

I hope you manage to sort the problem - poor lad
That's what we had been doing making a game of it and Laughing keeping the mood really fun and I thought he was over it

But today he seemed to be as bad as ever.
I really think he must have extra sensitive hearing as all his big worries are noise related.

I will start the Buzzing Games again
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-01-2007, 06:33 PM
it must have really freaked him out.
i know its near on impossible to find out but did he get bitten the 1st time?
just wondering if he hears the noise and thinks pain so panics.
i hope he doesn't get to many nastys around him poor lad, must admit if a bee comes near me i'm gone.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 07:13 PM
He may have got stung...

But I think my reaction probably scared him more than that, I'm terrified of wasps I thought it was a one and knew I had too get it off him, so I used a Broom to flick it off him

Poor lad has No hope when his owner is such a Coward
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-01-2007, 07:17 PM
well i would have got the other half to do it.
sound silly but whats he like round the broom?
you dont think he puts the noise to the broom do you?
dunno what you say its not nice for him with all the bugs you get in summer, its a hard one to get around as well.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Know he is fine with the Broom I brushed him for a week with it while OH fed him Chicken (hope the neighbours weren't watching)

But it really is a worry I don't want him getting so worried again that I cant get him in the Garden
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-01-2007, 07:29 PM
it could have a big impact on him poor lad, like you said in the garden out for walks etc.
nothing has fazed mine upto now so i don't know what to say or try but i can imagine its not easy on you all.
gotta ask why brush him with a broom....... did he like it?
tob would think its a game and tug of war would start.
does he actually run and hide then as well.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 07:40 PM
I brushed him with the Broom, because the Day after I used it to flick the waspy thing off him, I lifted the Broom to sweep and he hit the Floor like I was going to Beat him or something

Now every time I get the broom out I have to give him a quick sweep
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >