Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2008, 06:56 PM

Any builders about? Brickwork advice please

Some of our new blockwork out in the bootroom on one corner is concrete blocks, and one row above and another outside wall next to that, is thermal blocks. I have just noticed that the rain has penetrated the concrete blocks, but NOT any of the thermal ones, which Dave thinks is odd, coz if anything, the water would have penetrated the thermals? It could be water gushing off the side of the shed and hitting the concrete blocks coz they're very close up to it, but I just wondered if it could be anything else? It's a single skin wall coz it's only my bootroom. Would rendering the inside stop this? We can't reach the outside to render it coz of the shed!!! Any ideas would be much appreciated coz I'm putting a brand new fridge freezer in that corner when it's plastered and I don't want damp there!! Thanks for any help or advice
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Was it built on a DPC ? (Damp proof course) Since you say the concrete blocks are the first course if no DPC then moisture will rise up into those but it may not be enough to rise into the row above (Thermal blocks)

Just a thought I have to assure you I know nothing about building 'tho I may have to learn if we can't find a decent bricky PDQ
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks H Colin has now enlightened me to the fact that there are two types of concrete blocks, one is low density (for internal use only) and one is high density (for exteneral use). Needless to say, you know which ones this w**ker has used!!!!! They were put in to replace a window we didn't want, so the bit below was always there is you see what I mean, and there is no problem with that, just these blocks that are in the hole where the window WAS. We will have to render on the OUtSIDE of the wall now, which will be very difficult coz of space between that and my little shed, which is the whole reason Dave wanted concrete ones there so we didn't have to render outside Plonker!! I've made my displeasure clear to the guy who did the driveway construction coz the brickie who did it was one of his best mates!! He said he won't be using him again if there's any brickwork to be done on one of his jobs! I knew he was a cowboy, coz at first he went off saying he'd finished the job, and yet left an accro up in one corner still holding our roof up, coz he hadn't bothered to fill in at the very top of his new wall!!! That said it all to me! I don't think he's aware, that I know a lot of people, including people in the building trade, and I've got a very big gob!!!! He'd better thank his lucky stars he's off to Ireland to do some work!!!

I'm sure you could do yours better than this bloke did mine H!! It all looked easy peasy to me!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Many thanks H - I get the picture now and I've learned something too (Low density & high density and which goes where) so much obliged. We've had cowboy builders doing work on this place, I finally persuaded Alena to give them the boot last year but we've had to wait a long time to find any half decent guys, just got a couple on the roof job this week as it happens.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-02-2008, 08:31 PM
You may have a problem with sticking your fridgefreezer in there Helen with it being single brick.It will always be a damp place because its the cavity which stops it from leaching its way inside.I know the logical thing would be to internally brick it,but this can be expensive.Obviously this would tap into internal space,but there is an alternative and cheaper.

Applying bitumen to the internal walls will help prevent moisture comming inside (its called 'tanking') then fix 2" thick timber battons to the walls.Screw plasterboard to the battons and stuff the cavity between with fibreglass insulation as you go.You could just try tanking the walls and see how you go though and if its draughty-this would help with any damp issues too.

ps.Thermalite blocks are popular cos they aint heavy and cut with ease...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks for that advice Steve! Dave says it would be a nightmare though to do the bituman bit He has now discovered the shed roof is close up tight to this new brickwork, topped with a big pile of leaves doesn't help either!!!! I've already booked the plasterer for next wednesday, but Dave says I'm pushing it for him to get this sorted over the week-end, but me being a female, I think not! Lol! Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. He has a cunning plan up his sleeve, but then Dave should stick to cars and leave diy alone, or so I've been told by numerous workmen I've had around here lately!!!!xxx
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Steve the only problem with tanking and then dry lining the room is that it doesn't stop the water penetrating the wall in the first place, and what you then find is that the water just finds another place to come through instead. Basically it just spread around the tanked wall.

The only proper way to cure this water penetration problem is to move the shed out and then render the wall.

Helen unless it is bolted to a concrete base, it should slide with the help of a scaffold pole.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Good point Colin! I forgot about the water comming through the blockwork and just treated it as moisture!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Helen unless it is bolted to a concrete base, it should slide with the help of a scaffold pole.
Or put a rope right around it and tie the end to your Bimmer rear bumper, then gently drive away
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys

Hi Colin, yes that's what Dave said, so he's planning on moving the shed over, enough to clear all the debris collected along the edge of the roof touching the wall, the plasterer reckons he can actually render that small bit of wall if Dave has moved the shed, so all might end up ok. The trouble I've got is trying to dry it out, with the situation still out there, and more wind and rain before the week-end! Hey ho!

Hi H No way, I only picked that up this morning from the body repair workshop, where it's been touched up and spivved, looks fantastic now, I don't think he'd go along with that idea!! Maybe tie Georgie up to it though and hold up a juicy marrowbone in front of him???!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >