View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Oh I do feel for you. The last thing I'd be wanting to do was stress my dog in your situation. I mean by trying to force tablets. Unthinkable to just hold her mouth shut or mess about with her face in her case.

If you've got enough tabs to 'waste some' try anything. Crush between two spoons and then thoroughly mix into a big delicious dob of salted butter licked off my fingers is the one that always worked for me. I've had dogs who could keep a tab in the side of their mouth somehow and spit it out 20 mins after you thought you'd managed to get them to swallow it by burying it in cheese or peanut butter or something. Or I find the pill on a rug somewhere later - so I crush them to powder every time now.

You will know your own dog best and what is and isn't the right thing to do. Given what I've read I would be concentrating on trying to keep her as 'happy' as possible.

Is there no chance that the meds can be injected? Or syringed into the side of her lips slowly.

So sorry for you.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-03-2014, 05:45 PM
What an awful dilemma for you. Glad to read she has eaten well today.
I imagine you are in a turmoil about the results Friday.
Thinking of you all.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-03-2014, 05:50 PM
This morning we crushed them up and mixed them in with her mashed sardines and she knew instantly and walked away. Tonight we went back to trying to get her mouth open and chuck them in. Once in she swallows them without any trouble, the problem is because it's not just one area that's affected. The front of her mouth is an absolute no go area as that's where the growth is but the ulcerated areas are all in the roof of her mouth around her teeth and one right in the middle. I don't know how I managed to touch one yesterday but I'm keen not to repeat it. It's just a case of prising her mouth open and chucking them in while avoiding most of her mouth, easy innit Tonight was actually fairly easy.
Meg
Supervisor

20-03-2014, 12:31 PM
How is Rio today Shirley...
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-03-2014, 03:39 PM
She's doing ok today, she ate breakfast which was 4 tins of sardines and about half a tin of butchers tripe, 2 raw eggs mixed up with yoghurt. The lump at the front of her mouth is just as big as ever and I can't see what the ulcers are doing so obviously eating isn't getting any easier, I just think she's determined to eat regardless of the pain but it obviously takes forever and she won't eat if I walk away. It takes her a while to get going but once she's started she now keeps going till it's finished.
I then had a hospital appointment which seemed to take forever, came home around 2.30pm and fed her again. She had a large tin of pilchards and half a tin of butchers tripe. She's a bit squitty but I'm not really surprised with all that oily fish she's been eating. As far as I know that's the first poo since Monday. She's quite lively and has taken her pills without too much hassle. Compared to Tuesday she's doing brilliant.
Meg
Supervisor

20-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
She's doing ok today, she ate breakfast which was 4 tins of sardines and about half a tin of butchers tripe, 2 raw eggs mixed up with yoghurt. The lump at the front of her mouth is just as big as ever and I can't see what the ulcers are doing so obviously eating isn't getting any easier, I just think she's determined to eat regardless of the pain but it obviously takes forever and she won't eat if I walk away. It takes her a while to get going but once she's started she now keeps going till it's finished.
I then had a hospital appointment which seemed to take forever, came home around 2.30pm and fed her again. She had a large tin of pilchards and half a tin of butchers tripe. She's a bit squitty but I'm not really surprised with all that oily fish she's been eating. As far as I know that's the first poo since Monday. She's quite lively and has taken her pills without too much hassle. Compared to Tuesday she's doing brilliant.
That's fantastic, I would guess it is down to the medication but whatever it is Rio will have a little more energy and won't be feeling hungry ..
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Glad she's better in herself a little, I am really hoping that Friday doesn't bring the bad news you are dreading and something can be done.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
That's fantastic, I would guess it is down to the medication but whatever it is Rio will have a little more energy and won't be feeling hungry ..
Exactly and we're not expecting any miracles but at least she doesn't seem to be struggling like she was. I think the lump at the front where they removed a bit to send off for testing seems to have healed over as it's nowhere near as raw looking as it was Monday evening. She's now sleeping soundly.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2014, 05:48 PM
That's a pretty good update really Trouble. All we want is for them not to be in pain or suffer unnecessarily isn't it?

I feel so sorry for you both. Will keep checking back to read any updates.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Ah thats good at least she will be feeling a bit more comfortable

Keeping positive for you and sending you a big squeeze x
Page 7 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »