Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2015, 09:39 PM
Link is helpful, thank you
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2015, 06:32 AM
Just wondering she wasn't an only pup was she?

If so that would mean she may have missed out on being taught by other pups that biting hurts.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Was observing my own 12 week old puppy today as I was grooming her mother and her cousin. She was very bitey and jumpy, her mother grumbled at her and she backed off, then I was doing Keshi (her 2 year old cousin) and she was being a real nuisance, Keshi efficiently sorted her by pinning her and telling her off, wagged her tail and looked apologetically at me to say Sorry about that, then turned again and floored her because she had started again. It worked that time and she went off to play with some hair floating about and to stalk her aunt eating a bone, her nana usually dishes the manners out, but it was interesting to see Keshi taking charge when she was stopping her grooming session continuing and how she was immediately chastised a 2nd time when she didn't take notice. She's definitely not allowed to continue disruptive behaviour or steal food, she has to wait until they have finished, if she tries to take anything at all then she is dealt with very firmly and sharply. They can be pretty harsh in their dealings as well
helen118
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2015, 11:54 AM
She was from a litter of four. She is better through the day when she is just in with me but has absolutely no fear. Telling her to stop just seems to excite her more and the biting gets harder and on the evening she is wild. The only thing that stops her is putting her in her crate to cool down for 10 min. If she takes something she shouldn't have sometimes she gives it up and other times she growls when you try to get it and has tried to snack on occasions. I've tried swap as suggested but if it's something she really wants even a huge hunk of steak wouldn't get it from her (don't feed her steak by the way, just a turn of phrase). She can be lovely too and greets people in a friendly manner but then just gets too much. I tell people to calmly stroke her but after a few minutes she tries her first bite and when people say ouch or move her away she starts doing it again and again but harder each time and very excited. I don't want to make any mistakes at this early stage as I have 5 year old granddaughters and at the moment I'm unable to have them to the house when I'm alone with the dog as they are a bit frightened of her. I don't think she's a bad dog just overexcited despite all our efforts to play brain games and calmer play. She has mad half hours in the garden where she tears about but I just let her do that to let off some steam.
incident how long should she be sleeping for through the say?
helen118
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2015, 11:56 AM
Meant to say how long should she be sleeping through the day?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2015, 01:18 PM
It's really easy to forget how difficult puppyhood can be, once you're through it the mind just blanks it out.
Lots of puppies go through the manic half hour of an evening, usually just as you want to relax. I used to use that time to train them, obviously before they started climbing the walls. I used to play hide and seek, find it etc, which used up some energy but also worked the brain. It also meant once they were older we never lost a ball cos they'd be told to go and find it.
helen118
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2015, 01:40 PM
I think you are right we are just remembering how well behaved our last collie was and forgetting her puppy ways. She does enjoy hide the treat and other training bits and bobs but it just settles her for a short spell.
Can't wait for her second vaccine so we can get out properly in the big world instead of viewing everything form my arms.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3