Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2009, 10:01 PM

Brinley chased a jogger

This morning my partner took Brinley and Betty to the park as usual, and Brinley took off and run towards a jogger and barked and jumped up at him, the jogger shouted something , my partner is hard of hearing and didn't catch what was said the guy was also waving his arms about , Brinley stopped jumping at him but was still barking, my partner was calling him back all the time and he did go back, he never does anything like this when I'm with him,but I take the ball to the park and he loves chasing it, his recall is usually very good as well, we don't let him chase the ball all the time because he has problems with his shoulder and if he overdoes it he starts limping, so he only gets to play with the ball once a day.My partner has seen this jogger before, and Brinley just doesn't seem to like him, usually he doesn't go near him though, we don't want any trouble with this guy, so I'm looking for advice please.My partner intends to work on the stop command, and I will too, but any other ideas are welcome,thanks.
smileyfaces=]
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2009, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
This morning my partner took Brinley and Betty to the park as usual, and Brinley took off and run towards a jogger and barked and jumped up at him, the jogger shouted something , my partner is hard of hearing and didn't catch what was said the guy was also waving his arms about , Brinley stopped jumping at him but was still barking, my partner was calling him back all the time and he did go back, he never does anything like this when I'm with him,but I take the ball to the park and he loves chasing it, his recall is usually very good as well, we don't let him chase the ball all the time because he has problems with his shoulder and if he overdoes it he starts limping, so he only gets to play with the ball once a day.My partner has seen this jogger before, and Brinley just doesn't seem to like him, usually he doesn't go near him though, we don't want any trouble with this guy, so I'm looking for advice please.My partner intends to work on the stop command, and I will too, but any other ideas are welcome,thanks.

faith does exactly the same thing, is Brinley a collie or colliex?
you mentioned he never did it with you, and you brung the ball. did your husband bring the ball to, because i tend to find that is faith is not distracted with a ball/toy then she will chase the runner, and jump and bark the same as your dog. basically, get your dog distraction because if they have stimulation and are playing with something, they won't think the runner is their toy.
i think faith see's people running away as sheep, and as she is still young and we havent squished the sheep-herding out of her by not letting her herd (dont think it will ever work, shes a natural ) ... but seeing something run away means they are not in the herd, to faiths mind. so she chases. this might be the case with you dog, but i think this is defo the case with mine!
anyway, get a distraction and work on any technique you have, because the ball has worked with faith. she will still bark out the car window occasionally but she knows the balll is her toy now, and not the runner.
hope it helped,
daisy
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Brinley is a collie/sfaffie x , he is only allowed to play with the ball once a day becuase he has problems with his shoulder and he limps if he overdoes it, so my partner walks him around the park a few times, sometimes he runs ahead with Betty our other dog, and sometimes they see other people and dogs they know and he plays with them, I don't think he was trying to herd the jogger from what my partner said it was clear he didn't like him, we just want to try and prevent it again, I think we are definately going to be working on the stop command, unless there are other suggestions, thanks for your reply.
BigV
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Keep the him on the lead if he can't be trusted. Letting your dog harass joggers is not acceptable in my opinion.......... I am a dog person (obviously, I own 2!), but I get really sick of other peoples out of control dogs when I am out walking, or cycling on my bicycle.

Being chased or jumped at by a strange dog is very scary.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Its a one off, he has never done it before, so we won't be keeping him on the lead, which is why I'm asking for ideas, sensible ones, we don't let our dog/s harrass joggers it was a ONE OFF , please don't put ypur concerns about dogs chasing you on to one incident with my dog, if he was doing it all the time it would be different of course but he has only done it once , hes a rescue dog as is Betty and he has been with us for 16 months, hes 2 years old, so it has never been a problem before and we want to nip it in the bud, but it would be a total overreaction to never let him off the lead.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Chip likes to chase too, but he's so focused on his kong on a rope that he just doesn't see joggers cyclists other dogs etc.
Could you find a toy he really loves and keep it in your pocket to bring out whenever you see joggers ? With Chip it doesn't matter if I throw it. As long as he can see it he wont look at anything else. I often just let him carry it and he's so busy doing that he leaves other things alone.
How old is Brinley? Dale improved a lot once he got to about 18 months. I'm still waiting for Chip to grow up.
The other thing I did with Dale was to get him to sit when a cyclist came past. We sometimes walk on the canal tow path and there isn't much room. In time they get used to sitting or lying down when something's passing. Strangely though Dale will still jump at bikes if he's on lead and they come too close and fast.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Brinley is about 2 1/2 he does get made to sit to let cyclists go past, and he is usually very well behaved, my partner thinks there is something about this particular guy, that Brinley doesn't like, my partners description of him wasn't very flattering, tall, skinny grey haired and ugly looking! maybe Brin didn't like his looks !
Seriously though maybe a toy or a treat might distract him, Betty isn't food orientated, but Brin definatly is, he likes his toys as well, I think its an idea to have something to use as a distraction, also we find that Brinley is less inclined to bark at people when hes with me, I don't know why, but its not something he does, my partner says he doesn't go up to people but has barked at different people from a distance a few times, but he doesn't do this when hes out with me, so we don't know what thats all about, I said maybe he doesn't think I need protecting as much, but I don't really know.
smileyfaces=]
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
Brinley is a collie/sfaffie x , he is only allowed to play with the ball once a day becuase he has problems with his shoulder and he limps if he overdoes it, so my partner walks him around the park a few times, sometimes he runs ahead with Betty our other dog, and sometimes they see other people and dogs they know and he plays with them, I don't think he was trying to herd the jogger from what my partner said it was clear he didn't like him, we just want to try and prevent it again, I think we are definately going to be working on the stop command, unless there are other suggestions, thanks for your reply.
thats alright,
a collie staffie cross
wooow
i want one
the stop command sounds like a good idea, have treats on hand as well, so if he ignores/comes back you can make him feel realllyyy good about it. if i just give faith a pat she hardly notices, as im always giving her pats i have to make a huge fuss of her, which gets a bit embarrasing in a busy park
good luck with it all, as basically all dogs have one problem even if as owners we like to think they are perfect
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Don't know if it would work, but you say you have saw this jogger before... Would it be worth putting mutley on lead, going over to the jogger, and ask if he is willing to let your dog greet him (even if the jogger just stands there and lets the dog sniff), therefore your dog will learn his scent and know that he isn't a threat and hopefully not harras him in the future.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by smileyfaces=] View Post

thats alright,
a collie staffie cross
wooow
i want one
the stop command sounds like a good idea, have treats on hand as well, so if he ignores/comes back you can make him feel realllyyy good about it. if i just give faith a pat she hardly notices, as im always giving her pats i have to make a huge fuss of her, which gets a bit embarrasing in a busy park
good luck with it all, as basically all dogs have one problem even if as owners we like to think they are perfect
Thanks !He is a cute boy, but I am biased!
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »