Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dougandi
New Member!
Female 

29-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Can I suggest you contact Autism Assistance Dogs http://www.support-dogs.org.uk/AADogs.htm and talk it over with them.
Thanks but we dont qualify as we live too far south,there are 2 schemes but based up north or midlands i believe.because they need to come out and do home training with the dogs they turned us down.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 03:41 PM
I can understand why the OP might be wary of Staffys... and with an autistic child to consider then I would probably not recommend a rescue staffy. Sadly too many of the staffys in rescue are poorly bred and may have been bred from dogs in which aggressive tendencies may have been prized, many will be perfect family pets none the less, but as a parent I think you become very protective and its all about minimising risks.

However... A good well bred staffordshire from a reputable breeder with known good temperament in their lines could be just the thing. Or even a rescue that comes from a known background and history.

I would also add my voice to a calm cat tested retired greyhound, or a rescued golden retriever or other soft mouthed breed with a known background and history before being put up for rescue. An older dog is more likely to tolerate the enthusiastic behaviour of a small boy rather than a pup who may grow to resent it or even try and assert dominance at some point...

It is a difficult decision, but I'm certain just the right dog is out there just waiting to be rescued. Start talking to rescues and see what they have that they would recommend
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Don't rise to paulandfloyd's bait. He's just a wind up mechant who likes to argue. Don't let him degrade the post

Personally I love Staffies and disagree with the OP's view, however if she doesn't want to have a staffie then I thunk we should respect that. I don't like toy breeds of dog and no matter what people said, I wouldn't want to own one. That's my choice and I wouldn't want to get set on about it. It's a shame the OP feels that way but i've had enough bad experiences with certain breeds to make me a little wary of them. We know staffs are get with kids, but if she doesn't want a staff, then she doesn't want a staff. That's her choice

Pity about the Autism assistance dogs, I was also going to suggest you contact them.

I think a retired greyhound would be a fantastic ideal. A gentle stable dog and you wouldn't need to go through that whole crazy puppy phase (how would your sun react to puppy nips?). Some rescues may have the perfect dog waiting for a home and the plus side is that they'll have already been tested with kids and their personality proven, so you know what you're getting

Otherwise I would suggest a Tibetan terrier or a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel from a reputable breeder.

P.s. Daisy does look fabulous though! Check out that link
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
Why ? Just as big a bite as your darling labs and in my experience of labs a far better temperament!

I could quote and show you a million reasons why to trust them yet it only takes one news report for it all to be blown to pieces!

I would trust my Staffie with any kid any s
Day of the week . He has had kids pulling him screaming at him, has experienced horrid children hitting him and never do much as raised his eyebrow at it!

They are wonderful dogs with kids as are many dogs.what are you basing your opinion on?
I agree with this totally!

We have owned SBT's for nearly 20 years and they have been bombproof around our kids.
I currently own two and they live with a rabbit and two guinea pigs!
dougandi
New Member!
Female 

29-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all your reply's
i dont hate any dog,but i am really quite afraid of the staffy's.yes i have met a few that are fine but where i live the people that own them are the drunks and drug dealers that operate around the town and i dont want one.sorry if i offended anyone.
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Have you considered a Basset Hound they are very docile and love cuddles and all of mine over the years have been brilliant with kids of all ages and brilliant with my cats too
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by dougandi View Post
Thanks for all your reply's
i dont hate any dog,but i am really quite afraid of the staffy's.yes i have met a few that are fine but where i live the people that own them are the drunks and drug dealers that operate around the town and i dont want one.sorry if i offended anyone.
I doubt you have offended anyone Everyone is entitled to like what they like, its just Staffs are a much maligned breed now, sadly and have a reputation they just don't deserve... A well bred, well loved Staff is wonderful, if I didn't keep indoor little critters I would have had one!
Anyway, how are you on grooming would you prefer long hair or short. How much time could you give to training?
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post

I would trust my Staffie with any kid any Day of the week .
I totally agree My daughter has been training Diesel this morning......
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Can I suggest you contact Autism Assistance Dogs http://www.support-dogs.org.uk/AADogs.htm and talk it over with them.
As above, I woudl seek their help and advice.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 04:35 PM
OP, can I ask if you have ever owned a dog before?
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >